How long can the battery power the lightbulb?

In summary: Overall, your approach and methodology was sound.In summary, a 2.9V battery with a rating of 695.5 A-hr has powered a light bulb for 44.2 hours with a total resistance in the circuit of 5.3 Ohms. After the light bulb burned out and was replaced with a new one, the total resistance in the circuit decreased to 2.2 Ohms. Using the equation ΔV=IR, we can calculate that the initial current for the first bulb was 0.547 Amps and the battery should have 671.3 Amps remaining. With the new bulb resistance, the new current is 1.32 Amps and the battery is expected to power the
TravvyM

Homework Statement

A 2.9 V battery rated at 695.5 A(h) has been powering the same light bulb for 44.2 hours. The total resistance in the circuit has averaged out to be 5.3 Ohms.

The light bulb has unexpectedly burned out, and was replaced with a new one. The total resistance in the circuit with the new light bulb averages out to be 2.2 Ohms.

How many more hours of light can we expect (assuming the new light bulb does not burn out?)

Homework Equations

ΔV=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

If current (I)=ΔV/R, then the initial current for the first bulb should be 0.547 Amps (2.9V/5.3Ω). At that current the battery should have used 24.18 Amps in 44.2 hours (0.547A x 44.2 hr) . At that battery rating (695.5 A*h) there should be 671.3 Amps left. With the new bulb resistance the new current should be 1.32 Amps (2.9V/2.2Ω). With 671.3 Amps left it should power the bulb for 508.6 more hours (671.3 Amp*hr /1.32 Amp).

Logically speaking, I don't see how a 2.9 V battery could power a lightbulb for almost 23 days, BUT it is a homework question and I've seen crazier answers. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TravvyM, Welcome to Physics Forums!

A comment on your attempt: A load doesn't "use" Amps in the way you've implied; current is not a stored item. The load uses Amp-hours, which units reduce to charge (Coulombs). Think of the battery as a reservoir of charge that happens to be made available at a given potential (2.9 V in this case).

So for the first run of the circuit 0.547 A (or 547 mA) were drawn for 44.2 hours, for a total usage of 24.2 A-hr. Note that at no time over the 44.2 hour period was the current anything other than 0.547 Amps.

Otherwise your calculations look good. You might want to keep some additional significant figures in intermediate values so that rounding and truncation errors don't creep into subsequent calculations. Never round intermediate values except for presentation purposes.

I agree with you that a 2.9 V, 695.5 A-hr battery would be a pretty big item. I wouldn't think it would be "button cell" size :smile:

Likes TravvyM
gneill,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had a feeling my explanation of current being a "stored" and depleted was wrong, but I couldn't think of how else to describe my train of thought. I'm not sure what happened, but when I logged back in the site that I submit the answers to, it accepted the answer of 508.6 more hours.

TravvyM said:
gneill,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had a feeling my explanation of current being a "stored" and depleted was wrong, but I couldn't think of how else to describe my train of thought. I'm not sure what happened, but when I logged back in the site that I submit the answers to, it accepted the answer of 508.6 more hours.

No doubt the program is designed to accept results within some margin of error, and if they're not being picky about significant figures at this point, then your value was deemed to be fine.

1. How long does a battery typically power a lightbulb?

The length of time a battery can power a lightbulb varies depending on the type and capacity of the battery, as well as the wattage of the lightbulb. On average, a standard AA battery can power a 60-watt lightbulb for about 3-4 hours.

2. What factors affect the battery life of a lightbulb?

The main factors that affect battery life are the voltage and capacity of the battery, the wattage of the lightbulb, and the efficiency of the circuit. Other factors such as temperature, usage patterns, and battery age can also play a role.

3. Can a lightbulb drain a battery completely?

Yes, if a lightbulb is left on for a long enough period of time, it can drain a battery completely. However, most modern lightbulbs have a built-in safety mechanism that cuts off power to the bulb before the battery is fully drained to prevent damage.

4. Is it better to use a higher or lower wattage lightbulb to preserve battery life?

Using a lower wattage lightbulb will generally preserve battery life, as it requires less energy to power. However, the brightness of the light may also be affected. It is important to choose a lightbulb with an appropriate wattage for your intended use.

5. How can I prolong the battery life of my lightbulb?

To prolong the battery life of a lightbulb, you can use a battery with a higher voltage and capacity, choose a lower wattage lightbulb, and turn off the light when it is not in use. You can also consider using rechargeable batteries, which can be used multiple times before needing to be replaced.