How Long Does a Relativistic Journey to a Star 65 Light-Years Away Take?

In summary, the distance to a star 65 light-years away is only 25 light-years when you are traveling at a certain velocity. To find the time it would take you to make the trip, you can simply use the formula t=d/v, where d is the distance in your frame and v is the velocity in your frame. The use of time dilation and length contraction is not necessary in this scenario.
persephoneia

Homework Statement

Suppose you decide to travel to a star 65 light-years away at a speed that tells you the distance is only 25 light-years. How many years would it take you to make the trip?

Homework Equations

∆t=∆t0/(√ (1−v2/c2 )) / ∆t0 = ∆t √(1−v2/c2)
L=L0√ (1−v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to use the length contraction equation to find the velocity (v=c√(1-(25/65)^2) but when I plug that into the time dilation equation I don't get the correct answer. I get 25 when the answer should be 27. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
persephoneia said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you decide to travel to a star 65 light-years away at a speed that tells you the distance is only 25 light-years. How many years would it take you to make the trip?

Homework Equations

∆t=∆t0/(√ (1−v2/c2 )) / ∆t0 = ∆t √(1−v2/c2)
L=L0√ (1−v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to use the length contraction equation to find the velocity (v=c√(1-(25/65)^2) but when I plug that into the time dilation equation I don't get the correct answer. I get 25 when the answer should be 27. Where am I going wrong?

If you know the distance in your frame and the velocity in your frame, what do you need time dilation for?

PeroK said:
If you know the distance in your frame and the velocity in your frame, what do you need time dilation for?
I don't. I wasn't thinking that light years is also a distance because I looking at an example for the problem that combined the two equations (length contraction & time dilation) which threw me off. It's basically t=d/v after you figure out velocity right?

persephoneia said:
I don't. I wasn't thinking that light years is also a distance because I looking at an example for the problem that combined the two equations (length contraction & time dilation) which threw me off. It's basically t=d/v after you figure out velocity right?

Right!

Related to How Long Does a Relativistic Journey to a Star 65 Light-Years Away Take?

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes differently for an observer depending on their relative velocity and position in space. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation becomes significant when traveling at high speeds close to the speed of light or when there is a strong gravitational field. This can result in astronauts experiencing time passing slower than it would on Earth, leading to a difference in the aging process.

What is the time dilation formula?

The time dilation formula is: Δt' = Δt / √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where Δt' is the time experienced by the moving observer, Δt is the time experienced by a stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

How much time would pass on Earth during a space trip with time dilation?

The amount of time that would pass on Earth during a space trip with time dilation depends on the velocity of the spacecraft and the duration of the trip. For example, a one-year trip on a spacecraft traveling at 90% of the speed of light would result in approximately 2.29 years passing on Earth.

Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele–Keating experiment in 1971. It is also a fundamental principle used in many technologies, such as GPS systems, which need to account for the time dilation effects of satellites orbiting the Earth.