How Long Does it Take to Fall into a Black Hole?

In summary: The distance between the observer and singularity is not fixed, but it is rather the radius of the event horizon.
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm in orbit around the BH + javelin system.
Yes, which means, as I said, that the javelin already, some time ago, fell close enough to the BH for you to measure the change in mass.

Vanadium 50 said:
To me, nothing special happens when the javelin crosses the horizon
It never does. Heuristically, the "something special happens" when the change in the spacetime geometry reaches you. If the javelin fell right past you, the "something special" happens as soon as it passes you. If it falls in somewhere distant from you, the "something special" happens when the change in spacetime geometry propagates to you at the speed of light. But none of these will have any necessary connection to when the javelin crosses the horizon.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Guillermo Navas said:
Yes, 10 Msun.
##M_s=1

Yes, 10 solar mass.
With your formula and data: ##1.756\times 10^{-3} ~s##
A related problem I have thought about, a 1kg mass increases the event horizon of a 10 solar mass black hole by 1.5e-27 m. It takes only a finite and relatively short observer time for a falling mass to reach this distance where it would be absorbed. Question, as the 1kg mass approaches the BH does the added mass move the horizon so we never see the mass absorbed?.

If it's true that a distant observer never "sees" an object reach the event horizon of a black hole, then what do you make of LIGO's observation of one black hole falling into another and the observed merger being complete in a minute. It certainly makes no sense for one black hole to be seen as "stuck" on the surface of another.

DPH said:
as the 1kg mass approaches the BH does the added mass move the horizon so we never see the mass absorbed?
My previous posts have already addressed this type of scenario (for example, see my responses to @Vanadium 50 regarding the "javelin").

meekerdb said:
If it's true that a distant observer never "sees" an object reach the event horizon of a black hole, then what do you make of LIGO's observation of one black hole falling into another and the observed merger being complete in a minute.
Black holes don't emit light of their own, so LIGO is not observing light emitted by one black hole as it falls into another.

What LIGO is observing is gravitational waves emitted as black holes merge. These waves are emitted from outside the combined horizon of the two holes, so LIGO can see them; but they also carry identifiable "signatures" of the spacetime geometry of the holes as they merge, signatures which would not be present (according to our best current understanding of GR) if it were any other kind of object besides black holes that were merging. The duration of the LIGO observations corresponds to the time when detectable gravitational waves are emitted from the merger.

Likes PeroK
Nugatory said:
There's a subtlety here. The outside observer will observe the increase in the size of the black hole and this happens in a finite time, but that's not the same thing as seeing the infalling object cross the horizon - light from that event is still trapped at the horizon.

There's an older thread where this was discussed at more length - I'll see if I can find it.

(And "their own gravitational field" isn't right, it's their mass/energy that matters. That's a bit of a digression in this context)
Is the increase in the size of the black hole observable at a great distance in a finite time? If so, I'd say that's an observation that the object has crossed the event horizon...although of course one can never "see" that.

PeterDonis said:
In a spacetime containing a black hole merger, there are not multiple event horizons; there is only one. If visualized in a spacetime diagram with time going upwards, the horizon just looks like a pair of trousers instead of a cylinder: the legs of the trousers are the two holes that merge, and the top of the trousers is the merged hole. (The legs are also twisted around each other because the holes orbit each other before merging.) So it is indeed never the case that one hole is "stuck" just outside the horizon of the other.
Ok, now consider the limit in which one black hole is much smaller than the other. It's never "stuck" on the event horizon, but how is it different from some other extended bit of mass-energy falling in? You say there is only one event horizon, but it must change and it's change can only propagate at the local speed of light. So there is a wave of change in the event horizon spreading out from the entry point of the infalling object, as well as some radiated gravitational waves. I agree that one can never see something actually reach the event horizon. But as these gravitational waves are radiated from the merger event, so can photons be emitted and LIGO shows these can be detected at great distance and they cease sharply; so in that sense they have "seen" the infall event.

meekerdb said:
now consider the limit in which one black hole is much smaller than the other.
In that limit I would not expect gravitational waves to be detectable from the merger. However, my earlier posts in this thread, regarding when an observer orbiting the larger hole at some distance would observe a change in their orbital parameters, indicating that something had fallen into the larger hole, would still apply.

meekerdb said:
how is it different from some other extended bit of mass-energy falling in?
It isn't.

meekerdb said:
You say there is only one event horizon, but it must change
Bear in mind that the event horizon is a surface in spacetime, not space. The geometry of this surface in spacetime already includes all the information about all the things that will fall into the black hole over its entire future history. When we talk about the horizon "changing", what we really mean is that we have adopted some convention about what events on the horizon--the surface in spacetime--are happening "at the same time" as some particular reading on our own clock. Any such convention is not a matter of physics, it's a matter of how we humans choose to describe the physics.

meekerdb said:
there is a wave of change in the event horizon spreading out from the entry point of the infalling object
No. This is not how it works. The event horizon is not that kind of thing. See above.

meekerdb said:
as well as some radiated gravitational waves
See my comment above about this for the limiting case you describe.

meekerdb said:
as these gravitational waves are radiated from the merger event, so can photons be emitted
Whether or not photons are emitted will depend on what kinds of matter are present when the merger takes place. If there is no matter present at all, we would not expect anything but gravitational waves to be emitted. But for most real-world black hole mergers, we expect that the holes are surrounded by matter which is falling in at the same time the merger takes place, and that matter will emit radiation as it falls in, and the radiation will be affected by the merger.

Likes PeroK
meekerdb said:
Is the increase in the size of the black hole observable at a great distance in a finite time?
Yes, with clarification that the “size” (by which you seem to mean the Schwarzschild radius) is not something that we measure directly. We measure the mass, by observing the gravitational effects produced by the mass. But…
If so, I'd say that's an observation that the object has crossed the event horizon.
No, because these gravitational effects are not interestingly different when the infalling mass is just outside the horizon and just inside. In the most extreme case, when the distribution of the incoming mass is spherically symmetric there is no difference at all.

But the problem with identifying the moment that the object crosses the horizon goes deeper than that. The (necessarily timelike) worldline of an infalling test body intersects the event horizon (a lightlike surface) at a particular point in spacetime and there’s no ambiguity about which one. That allows us to make statements about how much time passes for the infalling object, what an infalling clock reads as it falls through the horizon, how much time an infalling observer experiences before they die at the singularity. However, there’s no non-arbitrary way of matching events on the infaller’s worldline to our clock readings as we sit outside the black hole watching the proceedings.