How long does it take to learn web-programming from scratch?

• Thread starter Mr.Watson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scratch
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning web programming in a year without any previous experience and being able to build complex websites. The individual sharing their experience mentions that they were able to freelance within 2 months of learning web development and have been coding since a young age. They also mention that building a prototype of Twitter is a common learning project for certain languages. However, the success of learning web programming in a year depends on the individual's previous experience with programming, computer concepts, and math and logic skills. It is also important to note that web development often involves using multiple technologies, so it may be challenging to learn all the necessary skills in a year.
Mr.Watson
Is it possible to learn web programming in a year without any previous experience and be able to build complex website? I mean not just simple home pages but sites with many functions like Facebook (Offcourse I don't mean the Facebook so big like it is today, but like it was when Zuck first launched it from his dorm-room) or some kind of prototype Twitter, or blogger etc.

Technology news on Phys.org
Depends, do you have ANY programming experience?

I was freelancing within 2 months of picking up web development by going on eLance and doing small PHP and JavaScript projects, and slowly working my way up. I've also been coding in general almost since I could read...

You could build a prototype of Twitter in an afternoon, and in fact has become a sort of "Hello World" for learning certain languages.

Lemme know what your expectations are, what kind of project you're thinking of, and I can help you from there.

As OMGCarlos has commented, it really depends if you have other programming or computer concept experience. Math and logic skills also really help.

Also as OMGCarlos said, the core concept of a blog or twitter feed is extremely straight forward and simple. It becomes more difficult when you scale the simple concepts to serve millions of people.

One thing to consider is that most often a web developer is not just using one technology. For example you might need to combine HTML, CSS, Database Management, Javascript and PHP. That is a lot to learn in a year.

1. How long does it typically take to learn web programming from scratch?

The amount of time it takes to learn web programming from scratch can vary for each individual. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to become proficient in basic web programming skills. This includes learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

2. Can I learn web programming on my own or do I need to take classes?

It is possible to learn web programming on your own through online resources and tutorials. However, taking classes or enrolling in a coding bootcamp can provide a more structured and comprehensive learning experience.

3. What factors can affect the time it takes to learn web programming?

The time it takes to learn web programming can be affected by various factors such as prior knowledge and experience in coding, the amount of time dedicated to learning, and the complexity of the programming languages and concepts being learned.

4. How can I speed up the learning process?

To speed up the learning process, it is important to stay motivated and dedicated to learning, practice regularly, and seek out additional resources such as coding communities and forums for support and guidance.

5. Can I become a professional web developer after learning web programming from scratch?

Learning web programming from scratch can provide a strong foundation for becoming a professional web developer. However, it is important to continue learning and gaining experience through projects and internships to become a skilled and in-demand web developer.