How long does it take to slow this boat down?

• Thread starter Theorγ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, the problem involves finding the time required for a boat to slow down from 90 km/h to 45 km/h, with the given information of a frictional force that is proportional to the boat's speed. By using a differential equation, the final answer of 9.9 seconds was obtained. It is not possible to solve this problem without using a differential equation.
Theorγ

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg boat is traveling at 90 km/h (25 m/s) when the its engine is shut off. The magnitude of the frictional force fk is proportional to the speed v of the boat: fk = 70v; where v is in meters per second and fk is in Newtons. Find the time required for the boat to slow down to 45 km/h (12.5 m/s). The answer is suppose to be 9.9 seconds, but I have yet to figure out how to approach that answer. Feel free to help me using calculus if needed.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
fk = [tex]\mu[/tex]kFN = 70v

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to write down all forces acting on the boat prior to the engine shutting down:
FEngine - fk = Fnet
maEngine - 70v = ma1

Then I wrote down the equation for when the engine did shut down:
FEngine - fk = Fnet
m*0 - 70v = m*-a2

But now I'm stuck as to where to go next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the mathematical definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the change in velocity or [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
Okay. At any given point after engine shutoff, what is determining the acceleration of the boat? Can you write an expression for that acceleration?

The boat's acceleration should be determined by the velocity at which the engine was shut off (25 m/s) along with the frictional force opposing the boat.

FEngine - fk = FAcceleration
ma1 - fk = ma2

The acceleration of the engine should go to zero when its turned off, but it should still have velocity, so does that mean I need to rewrite the acceleration (a1) in terms of velocity?

m*0 - fk = ma2

Last edited:
You're only interested in the speed of the boat from the moment the engine is turned off, after which the only force acting is that of friction. Can you write an expression for that acceleration? a = ?

[tex]a = \frac{v-v_{0}}{t}[/tex]

Last edited:
That would be the average acceleration. But acceleration is not constant. What is the function of acceleration in terms of velocity?

Uh I'm not too sure here but here is what I have:

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\int a dt = \int dv[/tex]

Not quite; that's very general and doesn't deal with the specifics of this problem. The problem specifies a force which is a function of velocity. Since f = m*a, then f(v) = m*a(v). So write out your expression for a using the given information. It should express the instantaneous acceleration that exists at a given velocity.

Sorry if the following isn't right, but I'm slightly confused here as I initially thought acceleration was suppose to be a function of time. Regardless, going with a(v), how do you go further because the problem does not state any other information as to describe what a(v) is equal to.

[tex]ma1(v) - 70v = ma2(v)[/tex]
[tex]ma1(25) - 70*25 = ma2(25)[/tex]
[tex]a1(25)= \frac{ma2(25) + 70*25}{m}[/tex]

Last edited:
Theorγ said:
Sorry if the following isn't right, but I'm slightly confused here as I initially thought acceleration was suppose to be a function of time. Regardless, going with a(v), how do you go further because the problem does not state any other information as to describe what a(v) is equal to.

[tex]ma1(v) - 70v = ma2(v)[/tex]
[tex]ma1(25) - 70*25 = ma2(25)[/tex]
[tex]a1(25)= \frac{ma2(25) + 70*25}{m}[/tex]

Yes, acceleration is a function of time. In this case, though, it's given as a function of velocity, which is in turn a function of time. Whenever you see something like that you should be thinking "differential equation".

If you sketch the bare bones first,

[tex]m a = -70 v[/tex]

[tex]m \frac{dv}{dt} = -70 v[/tex]

This looks like a separable, first order linear differential equation. The problem statement provides the "meat" to hang on these bones in terms of the given boundary values (start and end conditions for velocity).

gneill said:
Yes, acceleration is a function of time. In this case, though, it's given as a function of velocity, which is in turn a function of time. Whenever you see something like that you should be thinking "differential equation".

If you sketch the bare bones first,

[tex]m a = -70 v[/tex]

This looks like a separable, first order linear differential equation. The problem statement provides the "meat" to hang on these bones in terms of the given boundary values (start and end conditions for velocity).

Okay now this explanation makes much more sense, and I now understand you were referring to friction when you asked me to write the equation for acceleration.[tex]m a = -70 v[/tex]

[tex]m {dv} = -70 v {dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{-70v} = \frac{dt}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dv}{-70v} = \int\frac{dt}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln v}{-70} = \frac{t}{m} + C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln (25 m/s)}{-70} = \frac{0 s}{m} + C[/tex]

[tex]-0.046 = C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln v}{-70} = \frac{t}{m} - 0.046[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ln (12.5 m/s)}{-70} = \frac{t}{m} - 0.046[/tex]

[tex]t = 9.9 s[/tex]

Thanks for helping me through this problem, you do not know how happy I am right now ahaha! But I have one more question, could this problem be solved without using a differential equation?

Theorγ said:
Thanks for helping me through this problem, you do not know how happy I am right now ahaha! But I have one more question, could this problem be solved without using a differential equation?

Besides taking the actual boat out and measuring it? Not that I am aware of. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong!

Alright, and again thanks for your time!

Related to How long does it take to slow this boat down?

1. How does the speed of the boat affect the time it takes to slow down?

The speed of the boat is directly proportional to the time it takes to slow down. The higher the speed, the longer it will take for the boat to come to a complete stop. This is because the boat has more kinetic energy at higher speeds, which needs to be dissipated in order for the boat to slow down.

2. What factors besides speed can affect the time it takes to slow down?

The mass and size of the boat, the direction and strength of the wind and water currents, and the type of braking system on the boat can all affect the time it takes to slow down. A larger and heavier boat will take longer to slow down compared to a smaller and lighter boat. Wind and water currents can either assist or hinder the boat's slowing down process, and a more efficient braking system can reduce the time it takes to slow down.

3. How does the shape and design of the boat impact the time it takes to slow down?

The shape and design of the boat can greatly affect the time it takes to slow down. A boat with a streamlined and aerodynamic shape will experience less resistance and therefore require less time to slow down compared to a boat with a bulky and irregular shape. The design of the boat's hull and keel can also impact the boat's ability to maneuver and slow down efficiently.

4. Can the weight and distribution of cargo on the boat affect the time it takes to slow down?

Yes, the weight and distribution of cargo on the boat can have a significant impact on the time it takes to slow down. A boat carrying a heavy load will require more force to slow down, and if the cargo is not evenly distributed, it can affect the boat's balance and make it more difficult to slow down in a controlled manner.

5. How can the angle of the boat's bow and stern affect the time it takes to slow down?

The angle of the boat's bow and stern, also known as trim, can impact the boat's ability to slow down efficiently. A boat with a higher bow and lower stern will experience more drag and require more time to slow down compared to a boat with a level trim. It is important for the boat to maintain a proper trim in order to slow down effectively.