How Long Does Light Take to Travel from the Sun to Earth?

In summary, the speed of light is 3.0 x 10 exponent8 m/s. It takes 8.3 minutes for light to reach the Earth from the sun.
bmack
The speed of light is 3.0 x 10 exponent8 m/s. How Many minutes does it take for light to reach the Earth from the sun. Which is 1.5 x 10 exponent11 m away?

I know the formula is t=d/v
so ?=1.5 x 10 exponent11 m /3.0 x 10 exponent8 m/s

The answer is 500s=8.3min...I just don't know how to get this darn anwer and I am about to :cry: so please give me a clue:confused:

I am doing the steps but coming out with a different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
bmack said:
I know the formula is t=d/v
so ?=1.5 x 10 exponent11 m /3.0 x 10 exponent8 m/s
So far, so good. How did you do that caculation? (Hint: Handle the exponents separately.)

I know what the formula is however, when I apply it I do not get the same answer that is in the book the The answer is 500s=8.3min is inthe answer key at the back pf my book...

Okay so I need to handle exponents separate. okay, I am getting 50exponent3 because when you divide exponents you subtract. I still need another clue.:rolleyes:

The exponent 3 is correct (which stands for [itex]10^3[/itex]), but what is 1.5/3.0? It's not 50!

it is 0.5 right?

bmack said:
it is 0.5 right?

Yes, that's right.

bmack said:
it is 0.5 right?
As hage567 already confirmed, you got it. Now put it together: 0.5e3

What's that equal to in plain old numbers (without the exponents)?

Last edited:
I just don't know how to get this darn anwer and I am about to so please give me a clue
One thing that you should understand, bmack, is that you knew how to do the physics, but the math gave you some trouble. I think it's helpful in learning physics to keep the two things separate, and to know which half (the physics or the math) is giving you problems.

So good job! You got the physics part of the question right (identifying the distance-time equation). The rest is just plugging through the mathematics.

Good point, Saketh!

duh!I can't believe it! 0.5 exponet 3 is 500 I see that I do have a problem with the math more than anything because I am trying to convert the 500 into minutes but I am still lost. I know .

Okay 500/60 is 8.3 right because there are 60s in a minute:rolleyes: I can't believe It took me this long to figure out.

thank you all. I guess I am not as dumb as I thought I was:-p

Related to How Long Does Light Take to Travel from the Sun to Earth?

1. What should I do if I am having difficulty solving a physics problem?

If you are having trouble solving a physics problem, the first thing you should do is take a step back and analyze the problem. Make sure you understand the given information and what the problem is asking you to find. Then, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try looking for similar example problems and seeing how they were solved. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving your problem-solving skills in physics takes practice and patience. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and equations in physics. Then, try solving different types of problems and challenge yourself with more difficult ones. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or partner, as discussing problems with others can provide new insights and approaches. Don't be discouraged if you don't get the answer right away, as problem-solving is a skill that takes time to develop.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a physics problem is not paying attention to units. Make sure all of your units are consistent and that you are using the correct units for each variable. Another mistake is not drawing a clear and accurate diagram to represent the problem. This can lead to confusion and errors in your calculations. Additionally, make sure to double-check your calculations and be mindful of any rounding or significant figures.

4. How can I approach a difficult physics problem?

Approaching a difficult physics problem can be intimidating, but there are a few tips that can help. First, try to identify the key concepts and equations that relate to the problem. Then, break the problem down into smaller parts and solve each part individually before putting it all together. If you get stuck, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or trying a different problem-solving strategy.

5. Is it important to show all of my work when solving a physics problem?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving a physics problem. This not only helps you to organize your thoughts and calculations, but it also allows others to follow your thought process and see where you may have made a mistake. Showing your work also helps you to receive partial credit for a problem, even if you don't get the final answer correct. Keeping track of your work can also be helpful if you need to go back and troubleshoot a problem.