How long until vacuum (Hg/In) drops off? (turbocharger)

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a rear-mounted turbocharger in a turbocharged car. The question is about the expected pressure drop per foot with a 2" inner diameter pipe that is 12 feet long. Some suggest using a boost/vacuum gauge to measure the pressure, while others discuss the feasibility of using exhaust gases as a power source for the system. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a cooler at the end to salvage energy and the limitations of perpetual motion. Ultimately, it is suggested to have a better understanding of the system before attempting to build it.
Forcibly-Induced_232
I've been searching but i can not find the answer. This is for my turbocharged car. I just fabricated a rear turbocharger at the back.

Really not sure how to word this,sorry.

Question 1:
So my car produces 26Hg/in vacuum at the engine. About how much pressure drop per foot is expected?
The factors involved are a 2" inner diameter pipe that is 12foot long.

I think i can get an approximate guesstimate on Boost (positive pressure).
Thanks , people. I saw some charts online but they only dealt with water and CFM. I figured a smarty pant or two would know something about this here.
Thanks again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF
Are you suggesting active extraction of the exhaust gases? What would be the power source for this? If it is the exhaust gases themselves (as with a normal turbo) then the overall result would be worse than without your system. It seems to me that you are effectively expecting a pump to 'pump itself', which is a bit like a (forbidden on PF) perpetual motion machine.
The turbocharger itself uses a power source in the form of the fuel that the engine burns and the exhaust gases that pass through the turbo are going slower than they would if they went straight out of the back but what power source do the exhaust gases provide for your system?
Design of a good (passive) exhaust path is how motor cars optimise their fuel use.

sophiecentaur said:
Welcome to PF
Are you suggesting active extraction of the exhaust gases? What would be the power source for this? If it is the exhaust gases themselves (as with a normal turbo) then the overall result would be worse than without your system. It seems to me that you are effectively expecting a pump to 'pump itself', which is a bit like a (forbidden on PF) perpetual motion machine.
The turbocharger itself uses a power source in the form of the fuel that the engine burns and the exhaust gases that pass through the turbo are going slower than they would if they went straight out of the back but what power source do the exhaust gases provide for your system?
Design of a good (passive) exhaust path is how motor cars optimise their fuel use.

I may just have an air leak as i have not yet clamped(sealed) the silicone couplers down yet. A boost/vacuum gauge connected to the turbocharger only showed .5 hg in . I will find out soon if a leak is the culprit but at the same time i am wondering how far a negative pressure can travel before it stops registering on a meter.

In this case i am using about 12 feet of 2" pipe from front, side, to back. With a max vacuum of 27 at the engine.
rear_TB.jpg

Thank you for responding.

Attachments

• rear_TB.jpg
    rear_TB.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 901
Forcibly-Induced_232 said:
I may just have an air leak as i have not yet clamped(sealed) the silicone couplers down yet. A boost/vacuum gauge connected to the turbocharger only showed .5 hg in . I will find out soon if a leak is the culprit but at the same time i am wondering how far a negative pressure can travel before it stops registering on a meter.

In this case i am using about 12 feet of 2" pipe from front, side, to back. With a max vacuum of 27 at the engine.
View attachment 221317

Thank you for responding.
You have not confirmed or denied what I posted. Are you, in fact, trying to use the exhaust gases to power a turbine which you hope will help to extract them better?

sophiecentaur said:
You have not confirmed or denied what I posted. Are you, in fact, trying to use the exhaust gases to power a turbine which you hope will help to extract them better?
Powered by exhaust gases. Used to create positive pressure.
I just need an idea of how far a vacuum pressure can travel. It will give me a general idea of how far positive pressure can go and how long.

I'll just get a vacuum and attach some pipe to it. Wont be as strong a vacuum as an engine and i can't really measure it but it's another general idea.

Actually, you “just need” to know some very basic Thermodynamics. You cannot get more out than you put in. The only loophole you can exploit could be to put a massive cooler at the end to salvage the dregs of Energy. But you still couldn’t improve on using the cooler directly on the gases.
Feel free to prove for yourself that PM doesn’t work or save the effort and read around a bit.

Knowing more about the system you are attempting to build is the key here. It is a trick used by some show car and sleeper car builders to mount the turbo in the rear. These can be effective and have the advantage of usually not altering the outward appearance of the car.
A working installation uses the exhaust to drive the turbo and produces a positive pressure which is ducted back to the intake. The air uptake is in the trunk or a rear body panel. There is no place that a vacuum is being ducted. At least not for a distance that needs to be calculated. Conventional dynamic head calculations for pipe length and bends do apply for the air flow which depends on rate and volume which you will also need to provide.
If as previously asked you are trying to "suck" the exhaust with an exhaust powered device, well you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Likes Forcibly-Induced_232 and sophiecentaur
I'm not always great with words and i don't think we are on the same wave lengths here.

Obviously drinking from a straw requires vacuum and a 6 inch straw doesn't lose any with such a narrow diameter and short length.
If one was to suck or blow on a 2" inner diameter straw that is 12foot long with 28 psi or 28vacuum how far would until the pressure drops. There has to be some chart or something to lead me the right direction.

I rather read vacuum/boost from the turbo, which is where my gauge will is routed to.

I rather read vacuum/boost from the turbo, which is where my gauge will is routed to.

I would start with a good lesson on how to read a compressor map. You will then need to come up with some numbers on the air required for your motor. This will enable you to choose a turbo that best suits your engine needs. In the region where the compressor is producing more air than your engine needs you will be boosting. In those areas where the engine is taking more air you will be in a vacuum state.

If this is a modern engine or it has a modern ECU controlling electronic fuel injection just make sure it has sensors that can sense both vacuum and pressure. The ECU will adjust the fuel air ratio automatically according to the flow entering the engine. Make sure you put your sensor near the intake manifold. The challenge is self correcting and follows your pedal actions.
If however you are running carburetor or mechanical injection get a broad band O2 sensor and get ready for an extended dyno or street tuning process.
The changes in flow by throttle position, RPM, engine speed, air temperature, and many other variables make what you are looking at difficult at best to calculate. Even more difficult to achieve without lots of tinkering. You can however get an approximate baseline using dynamic head tables from the plumbing world and a couple ballpark flow rates from your selection process notes,

There has to be some chart or something to lead me the right direction.

Pressure drop along a pipe is in proportion to the square of the volume flow rate . That's why your charts deal with CFM.
Water is one way to measure pressure. That's why your charts deal with water.
So is mercury.
An inch of mercury is 13.6 inches of water.
27.7 inches of water is one PSI..

You need to measure pressure at both ends of your pipe and subtract one from the other.

The answer to this question .
I just need an idea of how far a vacuum pressure can travel.
is ":Forever" ..

So my car produces 26Hg/in vacuum at the engine.
Can I assume that's at idle on the manifold side of the throttle plate?

To be meaningful you'll need readings at wide open throttle.

Likes Forcibly-Induced_232
i don't think we are on the same wave lengths here.
I think this is true. You haven't confirmed or denied my impression that you are trying to 'suck' the exhaust by using a turbo. It this actually what you are trying to do? (Simple yes / no would do)

jim hardy said:
Pressure drop along a pipe is in proportion to the square of the volume flow rate . That's why your charts deal with CFM.
Water is one way to measure pressure. That's why your charts deal with water.
So is mercury.
An inch of mercury is 13.6 inches of water.
27.7 inches of water is one PSI..

You need to measure pressure at both ends of your pipe and subtract one from the other.

The answer to this question .

is ":Forever" ..Can I assume that's at idle on the manifold side of the throttle plate?

To be meaningful you'll need readings at wide open throttle.

I missed your post, sorry about the delayed response. Your assumption is correct, the vacuum is being measured at the engine at idle and i was trying to measure from the turbo at the end of the 12ftx2" pipe(it has a port for the gauge hose). I may either have air leaks at the couplers(where the pipes join and have a bend) and/or i haven't had a chance to let the pressure lag catch up to the gauge. When i "blip" the throttle the gauge reads 1in vacuum. I may need to test while driving.

Side-note from me:
i just watched a video of a guy blowing through a 1,000ft hose. on the other end was a balloon. Very intriguingly enough when he blew through the balloon there was a pressure lag(he would quit blowing but air was still traveling) . Let me just link a video demonstrating. I believe this is worth a watch for anyone on the Physics Forums :

the vacuum is being measured at the engine at idle and i was trying to measure from the turbo at the end of the 12ftx2" pipe(it has a port for the gauge hose).

There's a throttle plate in your throttle body. On one side of it is atmosphere(or output port of turbocharger ), on other side of it is a plenum, manifold and intake valves.

Point is - there's a lot of pressure drop across that throttle plate. That is its purpose, to control how much air gets into manifold.

Imagine yourself very tiny and able to hitch a ride on a molecule of air.
You pass easily through the air filter(we hope), enter turbocharger impeller vanes where the air molecules get hurled against a diffuser,
squeezing them closer together thereby raising air pressure,
Then you move through the 12 foot pipe experiencing hopefully only a small loss of pressure
and arrive at the throttle plate which you say is closed (because you're at idle.)
So very little air squeezes around the closed throttle plate into the manifold.
Every time an intake valve opens air gets sucked out of the intake manifold by a piston. That's why you have 26 inches of vacuum in there.

Beware of "Word Salad", words that sound good but are unrelated to what's really going on. The mind will believe Word Salad that's plain foolishness.
Always start your analytical thinking by figuring out what really IS going on.
Immersing yourself in the process as described above is the first step.
Drawing a picture will help you describe it in words that aren't just word salad .. Attention to precise wording is the price of straight thinking.
Next you figure out how to describe it with numbers. That's when understanding commences.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
I think this is true. You haven't confirmed or denied my impression that you are trying to 'suck' the exhaust by using a turbo. It this actually what you are trying to do? (Simple yes / no would do)
I'm bumping this post because the answer is highly relevant. - even if the OP may not be aware. The nuts and bolts of this are not relevant if, as it seems, he is proposing PPM.

Just wanted to say i put a shop vac in the end of the 12ft pipe.. (also tested the shop vac and it showed about 10HG/In)
the result: the lag is virtually non existent! It even spools the turbo!
Amazing to me. I may be one of the very few who can actually prove rear-mount turbo lag is a MYTH. If you get the right size A/R and trim turbocharger of course.

sophiecentaur said:
it seems, he is proposing PPM.

Could be.
I'd assumed a conventional turbocharger using exhaust flow to boost intake pressure. Never occurred to me to 'suck' exhaust gas out, though 'tuned exhaust' popular in a friend's 1950's go-kart circles achieved something similar with standing waves...

This question implied to me abject lack of thought about fluid flow.
i am wondering how far a negative pressure can travel before it stops registering on a meter.
i wasn't being a wiseguy when i replied "Forever" . And it's why i implored him to think about the air molecules.

Here's the picture i was working from, top left corner of his
TurboAft1.jpg

Vacuum for all practical purposes ends at the throttle body butterfly valve. Which i assume is at engine end of his 12 foot pipe not the turbo end.

A question well stated is half answered. Maybe he'll clarify his question.

old jim

Attachments

• TurboAft1.jpg
    TurboAft1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 438
jim hardy said:
A question well stated is half answered. Maybe he'll clarify his question
I hope he will.
I cannot even understand where his long pipe goes or what the turbo is supposed to be doing. He has refused three times to answer my simple question and I really suspect there is some PM process that's planned here. It appears that it is not working for him and he is trying to explain it in terms of a 'leak'. I suspect it's just loss in the system which you always get when you try to pull yourself up by your thermodynamic bootstraps.
jim hardy said:
Vacuum for all practical purposes ends at the throttle body butterfly valve.
But that applies to a normally aspirated engine, surely. A turbo provides positive pressure at the inlet and you can't have blow and suck at the same time(?). I can't see how a 12ft pipe can be placed at the inlet side of an engine . Totally confusing.

I don't really think it's that complicated. First thing to address is the 26 inches of vacuum. That has to be manifold vacuum. If that is vacuum on the turbo side of the throttle body, something is seriously blocked. So to me the 26 inches of vacuum versus the .5 inches is totally meaningless.
-
Next is the OP wonders how much vacuum loss exists on 12 feet of pipe. I think this is where he has a few things wrong. There will be absolutely NO VACCUUM/PRESSURE LOSS as long as there is no flow. Not very helpful I suppose. So the next question is how much flow? We don't know because we don't know the displacement of the engine to determine CFM. The higher the flow, the more loss.
-
I don't see this as some perpetual motion scheme.