How Long Will It Take the Second Sheet to Reach the Same Angular Velocity?

In summary, rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis, including understanding the forces and torques that affect their motion. Some common examples of rotational dynamics problems include the motion of a spinning top, rotation of a wheel, and swinging of a pendulum. It differs from linear dynamics in terms of the type of motion and the equations and principles involved. Torque and angular acceleration have a direct relationship, and to solve a rotational dynamics problem, one must identify the moment of inertia, forces and torques, and use equations of rotational motion.
PhysicsZax

Homework Statement

Two thin rectangular sheets (0.20 m x 0.43 m) are identical. In the first sheet the axis of rotation lies along the 0.20-m side, and in the second it lies along the 0.43-m side. The same torque is applied to each sheet. The first sheet, starting from rest, reaches its final angular velocity in 8.8 s. How long does it take for the second sheet, starting from rest, to reach the same angular velocity?

Homework Equations

T = Iw/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of inertia for a sheet of paper, I = 1/3mL^2

((0.43)^2 * 1/3) / 8.8 s = ((0.2)^2 * 1/3) / t

t = 1.9 s

This doesn't appear to be the correct answer. Any ideas? Do I have the Lengths backwards? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Zach

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Zach,

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, in the equation T = Iw/t, T represents torque, I represents moment of inertia, w represents angular velocity, and t represents time. So, when you rearrange the equation to solve for t, it should be t = Iw/T.

Secondly, the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet is given by I = (1/12)ml^2, where m is the mass and l is the length of the sheet. In this case, the sheets are identical, so their masses are the same. Therefore, the moment of inertia for both sheets will be the same.

Now, let's apply these concepts to the problem. We know that the moment of inertia, I, is the same for both sheets. We also know that the torque, T, is the same for both sheets. The only difference between the two sheets is the length, l, along which the axis of rotation lies. So, we can set up the following equation:

((0.2)^2 * 1/12) * w / T = ((0.43)^2 * 1/12) * w / t

Simplifying, we get:

t = (0.43)^2 / (0.2)^2 * 8.8 s

t = 2.35 s

So, it will take the second sheet 2.35 seconds to reach the same angular velocity as the first sheet.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Your calculation is correct, but it seems that you have mixed up the lengths for the two sheets. In the first sheet, the axis of rotation lies along the 0.20-m side, so the length used in the moment of inertia calculation should be 0.20 m. In the second sheet, the axis of rotation lies along the 0.43-m side, so the length used should be 0.43 m. Therefore, the correct equation would be:

((0.20)^2 * 1/3) / 8.8 s = ((0.43)^2 * 1/3) / t

Solving for t, we get t = 4.8 s. This is the time it would take for the second sheet, starting from rest, to reach the same angular velocity as the first sheet.

Related to How Long Will It Take the Second Sheet to Reach the Same Angular Velocity?

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate or spin around a fixed axis. This includes understanding the forces and torques that act on these objects, and how they affect their rotational motion.

2. What are some common examples of rotational dynamics problems?

Some common examples of rotational dynamics problems include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum.

3. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics differs from linear dynamics in that it deals with the motion of objects around a fixed axis, as opposed to the linear motion of objects in a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics involves different equations and principles, such as torque and angular velocity, compared to linear dynamics.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration have a direct relationship, meaning that an increase in torque will result in an increase in angular acceleration, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

5. How can I solve a rotational dynamics problem?

To solve a rotational dynamics problem, you will need to identify the object's moment of inertia, the forces and torques acting on the object, and any given initial or final conditions. Then, you can use the equations of rotational motion, such as Newton's second law for rotation (τ = Iα) and the rotational analog of Newton's second law (Στ = Iα), to solve for the unknown variables.