How many 2x2 matricies equal I?

• Thread starter Tachyonie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matricies
In summary, there are infinite possible matrices that satisfy A^2=I, as shown by the example provided. The person was given partial credit for showing their logic but ultimately got the wrong answer. They were advised to reconsider their approach and consider the possibility of x+w=0.
Tachyonie
Assuming A is a 2x2 matrix how many different matricies exist such that A^2=I ?
I am 99% sure the answer is 4 but after putting that down as an answer with supporting evidence I was marked wrong (or atleast not fully correct) so I am stumped as to where to jump and whether or not the grader may ahve just messed up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what was your attempt at proof?

Tachyonie said:
Assuming A is a 2x2 matrix how many different matricies exist such that A^2=I ?
I am 99% sure the answer is 4 but after putting that down as an answer with supporting evidence I was marked wrong (or atleast not fully correct) so I am stumped as to where to jump and whether or not the grader may ahve just messed up.
The grader gave you partial credit because you got the wrong answer but showed the supporting evidence that led you down the wrong path. Consider this matrix:

[tex]A = \bmatrix 0.6 & \phantom{-}1.6 \\ 0.4 & -0.6\endbmatrix[/tex]There are many, many more of such. Show your logic so we can help show where you went wrong.

I got 4 equations,

x^2 +yz=1
xy+yw=0
zx+wz=0
zy+w^2=1.

How do I solve this now?

letmeknow said:
I got 4 equations,

x^2 +yz=1
xy+yw=0
zx+wz=0
zy+w^2=1.

How do I solve this now?
Both of the middle equations (the ones equal to zero) have a common term. For example, xy+yw=0 is the same as (x+w)*y = 0. This means that at least one of x+w or y must be equal to zero. I suspect your four solutions result from setting y and z to zero. What if x+w=0?

1. How do I find the number of 2x2 matrices that equal the identity matrix (I)?

To find the number of 2x2 matrices that equal the identity matrix (I), you can use the equation (A x B = I), where A and B are both 2x2 matrices. You can then use algebra to solve for the number of possible combinations of A and B that satisfy this equation.

2. Can there be more than one 2x2 matrix that equals the identity matrix (I)?

Yes, there can be multiple 2x2 matrices that equal the identity matrix (I). In fact, there are infinitely many possible combinations of A and B that satisfy the equation (A x B = I).

3. Is it possible for a 2x2 matrix to equal the identity matrix (I) without using the identity matrix itself?

Yes, it is possible for a 2x2 matrix to equal the identity matrix (I) without using the identity matrix itself. This can happen if the matrix has specific values that satisfy the equation (A x B = I).

4. How can I prove that a 2x2 matrix equals the identity matrix (I)?

You can prove that a 2x2 matrix equals the identity matrix (I) by using the definition of the identity matrix, which states that the main diagonal must be filled with ones and all other elements must be zeros. You can then multiply the given matrix by the identity matrix and if the result is the same as the given matrix, it is proven to equal the identity matrix.

5. Are there any special properties of a 2x2 matrix that equals the identity matrix (I)?

Yes, there are some special properties of a 2x2 matrix that equals the identity matrix (I). One of these properties is that the determinant of the matrix must equal 1. Additionally, the inverse of the matrix is equal to itself, and the matrix is considered to be its own inverse.