How many electrons were transferred to create an attractive force of 1 N?

In summary: When Jimmy sells apples he creates a deficit of electrons. The number of electrons he has created is equal to the number of Coulombs per electron minus the cost of the apples. In this case Jimmy has created 8 electrons and the cost of the apples was $0.20 so 8 electrons minus $0.20 is $1.80.
Physics boi
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
So there was a question in a textbook that went as so:

'Two point charges (30 cm apart in air) are charged by transferring electrons from one point to another. Calculate how many electrons must be transferred so that an attractive force of 1 N exists.'

It is assumed that both point charges are the same. It was calculated that the charge of each point charge is approximately 3.16 * 10^-06 C. Then this value was divided by the charge of an electron to get the number of electrons transferred. This was the correct answer

However, i do not understand why dividing the charge of the point charge by the charge of an electron gives the amount of electrons transferred. I cannot get around this concept. It would be great if some could walk me through exactly why this is the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of charge carriers transferred must be the total charge divided by the charge per charge carrier. In this case the charge carriers are electrons.

Sorry, but i do not understand what a charge carrier is.
I am only in year 12. Could you please explain further. Thank you very much

(Number of electrons) x (the charge of one electron) = (Total charge)
When you know two of the variables, you can find the third using algebra.

Physics boi said:
However, i do not understand why dividing the charge of the point charge by the charge of an electron gives the amount of electrons transferred. I cannot get around this concept. It would be great if some could walk me through exactly why this is the case.
The concept that you mentioned is general and applicable to cases beyond charges, it involves elementary division and is taught by year 3 in most schools. It is the same concept as the one needed to solve the following problem: Jimmy sold apples at $0.20 each and collected $1.80. How many apples did Jimmy sell?

Instead of apples think electrons and instead of dollars per apple think Coulombs per electron.

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of the electric fields generated by these charged particles.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles.

3. What are some examples of electrostatic force in everyday life?

Some examples of electrostatic force in everyday life include the attraction between a balloon and someone's hair after it has been rubbed on their shirt, the shock experienced when touching a metal doorknob after walking on a carpet, and the force that holds atoms and molecules together.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect electrostatic force?

The distance between charged particles is inversely proportional to the electrostatic force between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can electrostatic force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, electrostatic force can be shielded or blocked by materials that conduct electricity, such as metals. This is because these materials allow the charges to flow freely, reducing the strength of the electric fields and therefore the electrostatic force between the particles.