How many independent components does a tensor have?

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
How many independent component does a tensor have?
Relevant Equations
Tensor analysis.
1705790546832.png

It's a 4th-dimensional 4th-rank tensor so at first we have ##4^4=256## components.
According to the book, Given that ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## 256 components reduces to 96. But I cannot see how.
For one pair of i,k 16 components are dependent. We have 12 pairs of i,k(for ##i≠k## becsuse for i=k tensor's components should be 0) so 256 should reduces to ##256-12*16=4*16=64##.Thanks for your help ...

Physics news on Phys.org
We have 16 independent combinations of ##i,k##. For each such combination, we have an antisymmetric tensor ##R_{..lm}=-R_{..ml}##. ... That gives us ##96## components.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
We have 12 pairs of i,k
only six pairs: 01 02 03 12 13 23

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
According to the book, Given that ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## 256 components reduces to 96. But I cannot see how.
For one pair of i,k 16 components are dependent. We have 12 pairs of i,k(for ##i≠k## becsuse for i=k tensor's components should be 0) so 256 should reduces to ##256-12*16=4*16=64##.

A better idea just came in to my mind:
For ##m=l## we have ##R_{ikmm}=0## so ##4^3=64## compenents should be zero. Therefor we have 192 independent components. If I divide this 192 by 2 I'll get the right answer.
For ##m≠l## we have ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## but how it imply that 192 should be divivded by 2?

Hill said:
We have 16 independent combinations of ##i,k##. For each such combination, we have an antisymmetric tensor ##R_{..lm}=-R_{..ml}##. ... That gives us ##96## components.
The problem is that I cannot see why.
BvU said:
only six pairs: 01 02 03 12 13 23

##\ ##
Did you remove duplicate combinations? (like 3 2)

MatinSAR said:
The antisymmetric tensor has 6 independent components. That is, 6 for each one of 16 combinations of ##i,k##. Total: ##16 \times 6=96##.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:

Did you remove duplicate combinations? (like 3 2)
That's what independent means: if 32 = -23 there is only one independent component, not two. So only 01, 02, 03, 12, 13 & 23 are independent (and 00, 11, 22, 33 all vanish), so 6 independent components total.

Likes MatinSAR
Hill said:
The antisymmetric tensor has 6 independent components.
renormalize said:
That's what independent means: if 32 = -23 there is only one independent component, not two. So only 01, 02, 03, 12, 13 & 23 are independent (and 00, 11, 22, 33 all vanish), so 6 independent components total.

This is true only for 4th-dimensional 4th-rank tensor? Or every tensor?
What a bout symmetric tensor? Does it have 6 independent components?

MatinSAR said:
This is true only for 4th-dimensional 4th-rank tensor?
4-dimensional, rank 2.
MatinSAR said:
No. You can make a list or draw a matrix, and count.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
This is true only for 4th-dimensional 4th-rank tensor? Or every tensor?
My count was for an antisymmetric rank-2 tensor in 4 dimensions (for your example, the symmetries of the rank-4 Riemann tensor behave like the product of two independent antisymmetric rank-2 tensors, hence 6 x 6 = 36 independent components total). A symmetric rank-2 tensor in 4-dimensions has 10 components: 00, 01, 02, 03, 11, 12, 13, 22, 23, 33. In other dimensions the counts are different.

Likes MatinSAR
So I should think more about it. Thank you to everyone.

For an NxN matrix, the number of independent elements is
general: ##N^2##
symmetric: ##\frac 12N(N+1)##
antisymmetric: ##\frac 12N(N-1)##

• Informative
Likes renormalize and MatinSAR
Thank you to everyone ... I've understand the first step.
We have 256 components. For ##R_{iklm}## we know there are 16 combinations of i and k and there are 16 combinations of m and l.
Using equation ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## we know there are 10 dependent components. So we have ##256 - 16(10) = 96## independent components.

Now using next equation ##R_{iklm}=-R_{kilm}## again there are 96 independent components. But how can I find out How many of these 96 independent components also apply to the previous condition and are now repeated?

Last edited:
One more question, Should I use all three equations?
1705818424831.png

MatinSAR said:
One more question, Should I use all three equations?
View attachment 338924
That's only two equations. Any two imply the third.

Likes MatinSAR
At first we have 256 independent components, using ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## 256 reduces to 96.
Then using ##R_{iklm}=-R_{kilm} ## 96 reduces to 36. Am I right?

MatinSAR said:
We have 256 components. For ##R_{iklm}## we know there are 16 combinations of i and k and there are 16 combinations of m and l and.
Using equation ##R_{iklm}=-R_{ikml}## we know there are 10 dependent components. So we have ##256 - 16(10) = 96## independent components.

Now using next equation ##R_{iklm}=-R_{kilm}## again there are 96 independent components. But how can I find out How many of these 96 independent components also apply to the previous condition and are now repeated?
Consider the rank-4 product ##P_{iklm}=A_{ik}B_{lm}## of two arbitrary rank-2 tensors ##A_{ik}## and ##B_{lm}##. Each tensor ##A## and ##B## has in general ##16## components, so the product ##P## starts with ##16\times 16=256## distinct components. Now impose the two independent antisymmetries:$$P_{iklm}=-P_{kilm}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ki}B_{lm}\Rightarrow A\text{ has 6 components}$$$$P_{iklm}=-P_{ikml}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ik}B_{ml}\Rightarrow B\text{ has 6 components}$$So the two antisymmetries together give ##P=A\times B## a total of ##6\times 6=36## independent components. The same argument applies to ##R_{iklm}##.

Likes MatinSAR
renormalize said:
Consider the rank-4 product ##P_{iklm}=A_{ik}B_{lm}## of two arbitrary rank-2 tensors ##A_{ik}## and ##B_{lm}##. Each tensor ##A## and ##B## has in general ##16## components, so the product ##P## starts with ##16\times 16=256## distinct components. Now impose the two independent antisymmetries:$$P_{iklm}=-P_{kilm}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ki}B_{lm}\Rightarrow A\text{ has 6 components}$$$$P_{iklm}=-P_{ikml}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ik}B_{ml}\Rightarrow B\text{ has 6 components}$$So the two antisymmetries together give ##P=A\times B## a total of ##6\times 6=36## independent components. The same argument applies to ##R_{iklm}##.
This method is different from what my proffessor told us ...
And it is easier. Thank you.

Problem is solved. Thank You, Everyone!

renormalize said:
Hello. I've thought about your suggested method. What I've understand is that because of ##P_{iklm}=-P_{kilm}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ki}B_{lm}## A can only have 6 independent components but components of B are unaffected. So till now we have 16*6=96 independent components.
After applying ##P_{iklm}=-P_{ikml}\Rightarrow A_{ik}B_{lm}=-A_{ik}B_{ml}## Which does not affect A But affects B, B can have only 6 independent components. Applying both gives us a 6*6 matrix with 36 independet components. Am I right?!

1. How many independent components does a tensor have in general?

A tensor of rank $n$ in $m$-dimensional space has $m^n$ independent components.

2. How many independent components does a symmetric tensor have?

A symmetric tensor of rank $n$ in $m$-dimensional space has $\frac{m(m+1)}{2}$ independent components.

3. How many independent components does an antisymmetric tensor have?

An antisymmetric tensor of rank $n$ in $m$-dimensional space has $\frac{m(m-1)}{2}$ independent components.

4. How many independent components does a traceless tensor have?

A traceless tensor of rank $n$ in $m$-dimensional space has $m^n - m$ independent components.

5. How many independent components does a completely symmetric tensor have?

A completely symmetric tensor of rank $n$ in $m$-dimensional space has $\binom{m+n-1}{n}$ independent components.