How many kWh will a 23MW generator make in 1 year

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kWh generated by a power plant producing at 23MW and the mileage that can be driven by Tesla cars at highway speeds in one year. The formula for calculating kWh generated is provided and it is mentioned that the same formula can be used to calculate energy consumption. The final calculation for the annual mileage is given, but the question remains whether this is for schoolwork or a real-world scenario. The thread is then locked due to the possibility of it being a schoolwork question, which is not allowed in technical forums.
CherryB
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How many Tesla miles can be driven per year using a 23MW generator?
If a power plant generates at 23MW, how many kWh will be generated in 1 year? And how many miles could you drive Tesla cars, at highway speeds (70mph), in one year?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simple multiplication and division:

1 MW = 1000 kW = 1000 kWh/h = 1000 kWh/year * hours/year = 24 * 365.25 * 1000 kWh/year

But I see you have already done that:
CherryB said:
Would that work for generation as well? If a generator puts out 1MegaWatt then it would follow that
1MW x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year=8,760 MWh or 8,760,000 kWH? Thank you

Divide by energy consumption , e.g. 0.35 kWh / mile to get miles/year

Likes CherryB
Thank you for helping me through this. I get 3,066,000 miles per year.

CherryB said:
Thank you for helping me through this. I get 3,066,000 miles per year.
Is this a question for schoolwork?

CherryB said:
I get 3,066,000 miles per year.
How ?

I multiplied 8,760,000 kWH by 0.3, but now I think I probably did the inverse instead. I'm in a design group, and the challenge is to imagine a non-fossil fuel way of making electricity, and I'm trying to figure out how many power plants of this size can power the US. I found out that in 2019 total production was 4.13 billion kWh, and one of the plant sizes is 23MW.

berkeman said:
Is this a question for schoolwork?
Thread locked for now. You did not answer my question. If you want your thread re-opened, send me a message (click my username and "Start a conversation"). We do not allow schoolwork questions in the technical forums (for obvious reasons).

1. How is the energy output of a generator measured?

The energy output of a generator is typically measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), which is the amount of energy produced by the generator in one hour at a constant rate of one kilowatt (kW).

2. What is the formula for calculating kWh?

The formula for calculating kWh is kWh = kW x hours. This means that the energy output of a generator can be determined by multiplying its power output (in kW) by the number of hours it runs.

3. How many kWh will a 23MW generator produce in 1 year?

To calculate the kWh produced by a 23MW generator in 1 year, we first need to convert MW to kW. 23MW is equivalent to 23,000 kW. Assuming the generator runs for 8760 hours in a year (365 days x 24 hours), the calculation would be: 23,000 kW x 8760 hours = 201,480,000 kWh.

4. What factors can affect the energy output of a generator?

The energy output of a generator can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of fuel used, the efficiency of the generator, environmental conditions, and maintenance of the generator.

5. Can the energy output of a generator be increased?

Yes, the energy output of a generator can be increased by improving its efficiency, using higher quality fuel, and optimizing its operating conditions. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help to increase the energy output of a generator.