How many magnets are in the CMS experiment

In summary, the CMS magnet has a 4 T magnet in the central region and an additional 2 T magnet in the outer part of the detector, known as the "return yoke". This magnet confines the magnetic field and allows for particles such as muons and neutrinos to pass through. The field lines in the central region go in one direction and must go back in the opposite direction in the outer region. This is achieved through a solenoid field. It is recommended to look for more pictures and Google "magnet return yoke" for a better understanding of the magnet's function.
BillKet
Hello! When I google about the CMS magnet I see that there is a 4 T magnet. However in the diagrams with muons, like this one, it seems to be another 2 T magnet beyond that. Where is that placed exactly. I assume it doesn't go around the whole detector, as that would affect the central region (the one with 4 T), but I am not sure where it is placed exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
BillKet said:
I assume it doesn't go around the whole detector

You should look for more pictures.

You should also Google "magnet return yoke".

This should answer all your questions.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should look for more pictures.

You should also Google "magnet return yoke".

This should answer all your questions.
I am not sure that helps me understand. On the CMS page it says: "The outer part of the detector, the iron magnet “return yoke”, confines the magnetic field and stops all remaining particles except for muons and neutrinos." I am not sure I understand how confining the magnet is equivalent with making the lines go in the opposite direction. Is this like a structure that actually rotates the field lines after a point?

Magnetic field lines are closed circles. If the field in the center of CMS goes in one direction then the field must go back in the other direction somewhere farther out. Here is a simple solenoid field.

BillKet said:
I am not sure that helps me understand.

You really want to get more pictures than that one. You really do.

mfb said:
Magnetic field lines are closed circles. If the field in the center of CMS goes in one direction then the field must go back in the other direction somewhere farther out. Here is a simple solenoid field.
Thanks for this! It makes more sense now. However I am still confused about how the field can point in the opposite direction (at least based on their diagram) in the endcap of the detector (it should point at an angle due to the curving of the field lines). Do they have some way to deflect it even more than just the normal deflection of the solenoid?

Vanadium 50 said:
You really want to get more pictures than that one. You really do.
Showing me one such picture would be helpful. It's kinda hard to look for better pictures if I don't know what I am looking for. All diagrams showing the trajectory of a muon in the detector (including the CMS logo) are like that picture, so I am not sure what pictures are you referring to.

Well, a picture that shows that the detector is cylindrical was what I was hoping you'd find.

The field lines look like this.

1604923915082.png

1. How many magnets are in the CMS experiment?

The CMS experiment contains a total of 1232 superconducting magnets.

2. What type of magnets are used in the CMS experiment?

The CMS experiment uses a combination of solenoid and dipole magnets, with the majority being dipole magnets.

3. What is the purpose of the magnets in the CMS experiment?

The magnets in the CMS experiment are used to bend and focus the path of charged particles, allowing for their precise measurement and identification.

4. How strong are the magnets in the CMS experiment?

The magnets in the CMS experiment have a magnetic field strength of up to 4 tesla, which is about 100,000 times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.

5. How were the magnets in the CMS experiment constructed?

The magnets in the CMS experiment were constructed using superconducting niobium-titanium cables, which were then cooled to extremely low temperatures using liquid helium to achieve superconductivity.