How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

In summary, the joke is about the number of Bourbakists needed to replace a lightbulb, with a humorous reference to the complex theorems and conditions involved. The conversation also includes a playful exchange about going out and having a good time.
genericusrnme
So I just saw this joke and I thought y'all might get a kick out of it (at least those who have read one of the bourbaki books)

Q: How many Bourbakists does it take to replace a lightbulb?
A: Changing a lightbulb is a special case of a more general theorem concerning the maintain and repair of an electrical system. To establish upper and lower bounds for the number of personnel required, we must determine whether the sufficient conditions of Lemma 2.1 (Availability of personnel) and those of Corollary 2.3.55 (Motivation of personnel) apply. If these conditions are met, we derive the result by an application of the theorems in Section 3.11.23. The resulting upper bound is, of course, a result in an abstract measure space, in the weak-* topology.

That's the first time I've ever giggled at a 'how many x to replace a lightbulb' joke.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should get out more ;) [BTW I don't get out that much either ;)]

chiro said:
Maybe you should get out more ;) [BTW I don't get out that much either ;)]

pff I'm going on my biweekly going out tonight! :approve:

genericusrnme said:
pff I'm going on my biweekly going out tonight! :approve:

Hope you have a good time :)

Bait and switch.

1. How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

The answer is typically considered to be one, as it only takes one person to physically screw in a light bulb. However, some people may argue that it takes two - one to hold the ladder and the other to actually screw in the light bulb.

2. Is there a mathematical formula for screwing in a light bulb?

No, there is no specific mathematical formula for screwing in a light bulb. It is a simple task that does not require complex calculations.

3. Can mathematicians solve the light bulb problem faster than non-mathematicians?

There is no evidence to suggest that mathematicians can solve the light bulb problem faster than non-mathematicians. It ultimately depends on the individual's physical abilities and familiarity with light bulbs and ladders.

4. Are there any real-life applications of this light bulb problem in mathematics?

No, the light bulb problem is typically used as a joke or a brain teaser and does not have any significant real-life applications in mathematics.

5. Why is this question specifically about mathematicians and not other professions?

The use of mathematicians in this question is likely due to the stereotype that mathematicians are intelligent and analytical problem-solvers. It is simply a way to add humor to the question. However, this question could also be asked with any other profession in place of mathematicians.