How Many Molecules Match the Given Structural Description?

• Thread starter chloé
  • Start date
In summary, This conversation involves an individual seeking help with an exercise involving a molecule with a tetrahedral carbon and a double bond. They are asking for assistance in understanding the question and how many molecules are in accordance with the given information and the name of the molecule. The conversation also briefly discusses conformers and the importance of the tetrahedral geometry and double bonds in determining the number of conformers.
chloé
bonjour ! voici un exercice que je n'ai pas réussi a faire lors de mon dernier contrôle... pourriez vous m'aider pour que je puisse comprendre pour la prochaine fois? je vous remercie beaucoup.

"compte tenu de la présence d'un carbone tétraèdrique et d'une double liaison particulière, expliquer combien de molécules sont conformes aux informations données par le nom fourni pour définir (incomplètement) cette molécule."

je ne sais pas si il faut utiliser les noms des molécules de l'exercice précédent...
si elles sont nécessaires, les voici :
3,5-diéthyl-4-isobutyl-6-méthylnonane
et 1,2-dibromo-3-chloro-5-éthylocta-1,4-diène

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisez ceci : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28

Que pensez-vous?

That thread is locked.May i express my frustration for understanding the French,but not the organic chemistry?

Daniel.

Dex, from what I understand, the question is asking for the number of conformational isomers. Is this correct ?

Last edited:
Nope,a mot-à-mot translation would b

Taking into account the presence of a tetrahedrical carbon (atom) and (the presence of a) double bond,explain how many molecules are conformal to the information given by their names in order to (incompletely (is this a typo?)) define the molecule"...

Daniel.

I still think this is asking for the number of conformers (or conformational isomers), but perhaps I'm just not used to the way this is phrased.

The "incompletely" makes sense too. The type of conformer (cis-, trans- ,...) is not included in the name so as to permit all conformations.

Besides, the most important things to keep in mind when working with conformers are :
1) the tetrahedral geometry of sp3 hybrid C-atoms
2) double (and triple) bonds prevent rotation.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Taking into account the presence of a tetrahedrical carbon (atom) and (the presence of a)double bond,explain how many molecules fit the information given by their names and based on this information (incompletely) define the molecule"...

Change conformal for Fit. It should make more sense.

Last edited:
hello !

I don't want you to do this exercice, bur just to help me (explanations).
In this exercice I have to explain how many molecules are in accordance with these informations: the carbon is "tétraedric" and there is a double connection.
the name of the molecule is 1,2-dibromo-3-chloro-5-éthylocta-1,4-diène

I hope you understand my translation... :redface:

The first step is to draw the structure of the molecule.

How many carbon atoms in the main chain ?

Related to How Many Molecules Match the Given Structural Description?

1. What are some common phrases in French?

Some common phrases in French include "bonjour" (hello), "merci" (thank you), "comment ça va?" (how are you?), and "au revoir" (goodbye).

2. Is French a difficult language to learn?

It depends on the individual and their native language, but French can be challenging to learn due to its complex grammar rules and pronunciation. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered.

3. How many people speak French?

Approximately 300 million people in the world speak French as their first or second language. It is an official language in 29 countries and is commonly used in international organizations such as the United Nations.

4. Are there different dialects of French?

Yes, there are several dialects of French, including Canadian French, Swiss French, and African French. Each dialect has its unique vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar rules.

5. What are some popular French foods?

Some popular French foods include croissants, baguettes, escargots (snails), coq au vin (chicken in red wine sauce), and crème brûlée (burnt cream). France is also known for its fine wines and cheeses.