How many more donuts did the second guy eat?

In summary, the first person ate 1/3 of the box of donuts and the second person ate 2/3 of the box. We cannot determine the exact number of donuts each person ate since the total number of donuts in the box is unknown. However, we can say that the second person ate 1/3 more donuts than the first person.
confusedbymath3
Someone eats \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{12}\) of a box of donuts. His friend eats \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{6}\) more than the first guy. How many more donuts did the second guy eat than the first one? This problem may seem easy, but I feel like it's so hard!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since we don't know how many donuts are in the box to begin with, we cannot say how many more donuts the second person ate than the first. All we can say is what portion of the box each ate.

I would begin by reducing the fractions...what portion of the box did the first person eat?

I used something else to help me, so never mind.

1. What is the definition of a difference of fractions?

The difference of fractions is the result of subtracting one fraction from another. It is calculated by finding a common denominator and then subtracting the numerators.

2. How do you simplify the difference of fractions?

To simplify the difference of fractions, you need to first find a common denominator. Then, you can subtract the numerators and keep the denominator the same. Finally, reduce the resulting fraction to its simplest form, if possible.

3. Can the difference of fractions be negative?

Yes, the difference of fractions can be negative. This occurs when the numerator of the second fraction is larger than the numerator of the first fraction, resulting in a negative difference.

4. What is the importance of finding a common denominator when subtracting fractions?

Finding a common denominator is important when subtracting fractions because it allows for accurate comparison and calculation of the fractions. Without a common denominator, the fractions cannot be directly subtracted from each other.

5. Is it possible for the difference of fractions to be greater than 1?

Yes, the difference of fractions can be greater than 1. This occurs when the numerator of the first fraction is smaller than the numerator of the second fraction, resulting in a fraction with a numerator greater than the denominator.