How many Parallel Resistive Loads I connect in a 110V branch?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and considerations of connecting multiple resistive loads in parallel in a 110V socket in a domestic setting. The maximum wattage that can be safely drawn from the socket is determined by the current rating of the main breaker in the fuse box, as well as the individual breakers for each outlet. The voltage in most European countries has changed from 220V to 230V, with a range of 215V to 245V. The conversation also touches on the challenges of standardization in terms of voltage and frequency in different parts of the world.
KuriousKid
TL;DR Summary
Parallel connections of Heating Elements
This is to understand the situation, I'm not going to do this in real world.
This is already done in our Cooktops (refer image below). They come with 4 Cook tops with Nichrome heating elements. So my question is, how many Nichrome Heating Elements can be connected in parallel in 110 V socket at home? Considering each Heating element is 600W, 800, 1200 and 2000W, which makes it 4600W. When turned on simultaneously. Can I connect 10 or 20 or 30 Heating elements of 1000 Watt each in parallel? Trying to understand what is the limit and how we know the limit of 110V or 230 V sockets available in house.

rlpool-wee745h0fs2-replacement-cooktop-genuine-oem.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you understand the relationship between watts volt and amps?

Do you mean
V = IR
P = VI
?

KuriousKid said:
Can I connect 10 or 20 or 30 Heating elements of 1000 Watt each in parallel?
No, not even 10.

For 230 volts, the maximum current from one outlet can be about 10 amps. That is only 230 volts * 10 amps = 2.3 kW. You could only connect two 1 kW elements.

For a 230 volt, wired in stove without the plug and socket, the limit is about 35 amp = 230 volt * 35 amp = 8 kW, so it would run eight of your 1 kW elements.

Likes KuriousKid
So in US at 110 V, Single phase connection, how we can run so many things at once?
e.g. 4 Stove tops, Home heating, Fridge, Oven, Microwave etc. Sometimes some other stuff kicks in, so load at that time may go well above 8 kw for a large house.

KuriousKid said:
So in US at 110 V, Single phase connection, how we can run so many things at once?
e.g. 4 Stove tops, Home heating, Fridge, Oven, Microwave etc. Sometimes some other stuff kicks in, so load at that time may go well above 8 kw for a large house.
KuriousKid said:
So my question is, how many Nichrome Heating Elements can be connected in parallel in 110 V socket at home?
I don't believe you have all 8 kW running from a single socket. The house is probably supplied from a single distribution board, that supplies a fixed stove and many other separately fused power outlets.

Likes KuriousKid and berkeman
The limit is not related to the resistors themselves, in theory you can connect infinite number of them.

That would be equivalent to short circuiting the supply and killing it.

My stove (note I am living in 240V EU country) has a total of around 8kW, but uses three phase connector.

Likes KuriousKid
Look in your fuse box or breaker box. There is probably a large double-breaker at the top of the box that turns off all power. 50Amp and 100Amp are common values.
Multiply that Current rating by the Voltage. This is the maximum wattage you can draw before this main breaker trips.

Now look at the individual breakers in the panel.
Add up the the Amp rating that is on each of them.

Multiply the total Amps by the line Voltage, this will tell you the maximum Watts your house is wired for.

The answer to your question of how many Watts you can draw is the lower of the two answers from the above multiplies.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes KuriousKid
Borek said:
(note I am living in 240V EU country)
That country no longer exists. While you were looking the other way, the EU changed to the 230 V international standard.
The voltage can be expected to range from about 215 V to 245 V.
Anything designed for 220 V to 240 V should work in the EU.

Likes Borek
Baluncore said:
That country no longer exists. While you were looking the other way, the EU changed to the 230 V international standard.
The voltage can be expected to range from about 215 V to 245 V.
Anything designed for 220 V to 240 V should work in the EU.

Sigh, since I was born they moved me in every possible direction, usually without even asking. When I was a kid it was actually 220V and it was later changed, perhaps even more than once. Not that I care too much, my understanding is that these few volts at the end are within the tolerance of both supply and most devices I use.

But I do remember voltage stabilizers from my childhood, when the mains, especially in the rural areas, was hardly reliable.

Likes KuriousKid
In the USA the standard is 20 amp circuits for countertop/kitchen 120 volt receptacles. Most others in the house will be 15 amps. Since you seem to be familiar with the relationship between volts, amps, and watts you should be able to answer this question on your own. The cooktop you refer to is likely fed by a 240 volt 40 or perhaps 50 amp circuit if it is a unit with an oven as well. Maybe smaller if just a cooktop. Do the math....

Likes KuriousKid
Borek said:
since I was born they moved me in every possible direction, usually without even asking.
Tough break. Your country has also been drifting westward at maybe a mile per year over the last couple centuries. Stanadrds ain't what they used to be.

Now, if we could only get the world to agree on 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz.

Vanadium 50 said:
Tough break. Your country has also been drifting westward at maybe a mile per year over the last couple centuries.

Sadly, recently it drifts back to the east.

Vanadium 50 said:
Now, if we could only get the world to agree on 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz.

Or choose metric or imperial, once and for all.

Mentor Note: Thread title edited to fix it up a bit.

from: "How many Parallel Resistors I can connect in 110V socket"

to: "How many Parallel Resistive Loads can I connect in a 110V branch?"

:wink:

Likes KuriousKid
Borek said:
Sadly, recently it drifts back to the east.
I was talking geographically, not politically. But yes.

1. How many parallel resistive loads can I connect in a 110V branch?

The number of parallel resistive loads that can be connected in a 110V branch depends on the total current draw of the loads and the maximum current capacity of the branch. It is important to ensure that the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current capacity to avoid overloading the branch.

2. What is the maximum current capacity of a 110V branch?

The maximum current capacity of a 110V branch depends on the wire size and the circuit breaker or fuse rating. It is typically between 15-20 amps for residential circuits. Consult the electrical code or a licensed electrician for specific guidelines.

3. Can I connect different types of resistive loads in parallel in a 110V branch?

Yes, you can connect different types of resistive loads in parallel in a 110V branch as long as the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current capacity. However, it is important to note that different types of loads may have different voltage and current requirements, so it is important to consider this when connecting them in parallel.

4. Is there a limit to the total resistance of parallel loads in a 110V branch?

There is no limit to the total resistance of parallel loads in a 110V branch. However, the total resistance will affect the total current draw, so it is important to ensure that the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current capacity of the branch.

5. Can I use a higher voltage branch to connect more parallel resistive loads?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher voltage branch to connect more parallel resistive loads. This can cause an overload and potentially damage the loads. It is important to use the appropriate voltage branch and ensure that the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current capacity.