How Many Photons Reach the Hubble Telescope from a Distant Star in a Day?

• Thread starter Buckethead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, during a one day time exposure, approximately 40 billion photons hit the Hubble telescope from a single star 13 billion light years away. This highlights the vast number of photons that are present in the universe, with even more being emitted from stars that are 13 million light years away.
Buckethead
Gold Member
Just for fun I wondered about how many photons hit the Hubble telescope from a single star 13 billion LY away during a one day time exposure and came up with about 40 billion photons. Considering that a single star radiates light in all directions to a radius of 13 billion LY, it puts a perspective on just how many photons are out there. I'm not going to reveal how I came up with this number as I'll get laughed out of the forum :wink:. Anyone else care to come up with a number?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
2000 for a star 13 million LY away. With billions, ~1 photon/year.

Related to How Many Photons Reach the Hubble Telescope from a Distant Star in a Day?

1. What is photon spread?

Photon spread refers to the phenomenon of light scattering or spreading out as it travels through a medium. This can occur due to interactions with particles in the medium, such as air molecules or dust particles.

2. How does visualizing photon spread help in scientific research?

Visualizing photon spread allows scientists to better understand how light behaves in different environments and to develop more accurate models and simulations. This can be particularly useful in fields such as optics, astronomy, and environmental science.

3. What techniques are used to visualize photon spread?

There are several techniques used to visualize photon spread, including light scattering experiments, imaging technologies such as microscopy and telescopes, and computer simulations.

4. Can photon spread be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, photon spread can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as using lenses, mirrors, and filters to focus or direct the light, or by changing the properties of the medium through which the light is traveling.

5. What real-world applications rely on understanding photon spread?

Understanding photon spread is crucial in a wide range of real-world applications, including designing more efficient solar cells, developing advanced imaging technologies, and studying the behavior of light in the atmosphere for weather and climate research.