How many Planck lengths are there in a parsec?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of Alexa and how it can be educational and fun. One person suggested purchasing an Amazon Echo Dot to experience Alexa's responses firsthand. Another person mentioned the concept of spurious precision and how it can impact calculations. The conversation ended with a suggestion to use Google calculator for accurate calculations instead of relying on discussion forums.
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
[Mentor's note: moved to GD because this is a thread about Alexa, not parsecs or Planck lengths]

I know it's a strange question. Here is Alexa's answer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hXYFT_zBnFy-N0BotiTSDL8_S6nHK3ns

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bob Walance said:
I know it's a strange question. Here is Alexa's answer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hXYFT_zBnFy-N0BotiTSDL8_S6nHK3ns
I can't see the link

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm ... I'm able to see and follow my link even when I'm not logged in. I'm not sure why others can't

My math is fine and we're not allowed to upload mp3 files, so I guess this stops here.

Better yet -- spend $50 for an Amazon Echo Dot (you'll need a wifi network) and listen to Alexa's response for yourself. She's a lot fun and can be very educational.

phinds said:
I can't see the link
I can. I expect that this has something to do with being logged into Google Drive and/or how the sharing has been set up.

Hm.

"Alexa, what is standard form?"

"Alexa, what is spurious precision?"

Bob Walance said:
Better yet -- spend $50 for an Amazon Echo Dot (you'll need a wifi network) and listen to Alexa's response for yourself. She's a lot fun and can be very educational.
Spending $50 to learn how to multiply two numbers together doesn't seem all that appealing to me.

Likes berkeman, russ_watters and Tom.G
Ibix said:
"Alexa, what is spurious precision?"
Spurious? They are both well-defined lengths...
She could have rounded, sure, but he didn't ask for approximately...
:-p

Ask Alexa how many electrons there are in a pint...

phinds said:
Spending $50 to learn how to multiply two numbers together doesn't seem all that appealing to me.
Uhm, maybe "...divide two numbers..."?

I get ~1.9e+49 using google calculator and my crummy typing skills. The OP is asked to consider doing the same:
i.e, lookup both values then divide Planck length in meters (really small) into the number of meters in a parsec. Thread closed.

PF is not a preferred substitute for google calculator.

Likes davenn, berkeman, russ_watters and 1 other person

1. How do you convert from Planck lengths to parsecs?

To convert from Planck lengths to parsecs, you can use the conversion factor of 1 Planck length = 1.616199 × 10^-35 parsecs. This means that to convert from Planck lengths to parsecs, you would divide the number of Planck lengths by 1.616199 × 10^-35.

2. How many Planck lengths are there in one parsec?

There are approximately 6.187 × 10^34 Planck lengths in one parsec. This number is based on the conversion factor of 1 Planck length = 1.616199 × 10^-35 parsecs.

3. What is the significance of using Planck lengths and parsecs in astrophysics?

Planck lengths and parsecs are both units of measurement used in astrophysics to represent extremely small and extremely large distances. Planck lengths are the smallest possible distance that can be measured according to the principles of quantum mechanics, while parsecs are commonly used to measure the vast distances between celestial objects.

4. Are Planck lengths and parsecs used in other fields of science?

While Planck lengths and parsecs are most commonly used in astrophysics, they are also used in other fields of science such as particle physics and cosmology. These units of measurement help scientists understand and quantify the extremely small and extremely large scales of the universe.

5. How accurate is the conversion factor between Planck lengths and parsecs?

The conversion factor between Planck lengths and parsecs is considered to be very accurate, with a margin of error of less than 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. This is due to the precise nature of Planck units and the well-established definition of a parsec as a unit of measurement.