How many sensors in a rocket?

In summary, the number of sensors on a typical rocket varies depending on the type and size of the rocket. A large liquid-fueled rocket stage may have around 100 sensors, while a small hobbyist rocket may only have a couple. More modern rockets, such as the Space-X Falcon, likely have a higher number of sensors, potentially in the thousands. However, the exact number and types of sensors used on these rockets is often proprietary information and not publicly available.
senmeis
Hi,does anyone know how many sensors a typical rocket have and what they are? Where can I find such a list?Senmeis

Physics news on Phys.org
senmeis said:
Hi,does anyone know how many sensors a typical rocket have and what they are? Where can I find such a list?Senmeis
Depends on the rocket. What kind?

Likes Astronuc and FactChecker
Typical large liquid-fueled rocket stage (not the whole rocket) would have about 100 sensors. Majority of them are hall effect sensors and optical encoders in various servo-mechanisms.

russ_watters said:
Depends on the rocket. What kind?
Just conventional fluid rocket, not so specific as Delta.Senmeis

senmeis said:
Just conventional fluid rocket, not so specific as Delta.Senmeis
you are still being very vague ... get specific !

hobbyist rocket ?
commercial one ?
size ?
and any other relevant info for people to help you

I could say as many as maybe 500 for an old Saturn V or as few as a couple for a small hobbyist one

Likes russ_watters
Probably this kind of information on a commercial rocket like a Space-X Falcon is proprietary and not publicly available.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
senmeis said:
Just conventional fluid rocket, not so specific as Delta.
"In 1969, the Saturn 5 1st stage had over 900 sensors poling at up to 120 samples per second and had about a dozen live feed video cameras..."
"I would think it is safe to say that the sensor load of data at SpaceX was likely higher than what was seen in 1969..."

(above from: https://www.quora.com/What-technolo...nvestigation-of-the-recent-Falcon-9-explosion)

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Astronuc, jim hardy, davenn and 2 others
Tom.G said:
"In 1969, the Saturn 5 1st stage had over 900 sensors poling at up to 120 samples per second and had about a dozen live feed video cameras..."
"I would think it is safe to say that the sensor load of data at SpaceX was likely higher than what was seen in 1969..."

(above from: https://www.quora.com/What-technolo...nvestigation-of-the-recent-Falcon-9-explosion)

Cheers,
Tom
Likely correct, but please remember Saturn 5 had 5 engines in first stage. Modern stages (with exception of Falcon) usually have 1-2 engines.

I can believe the numbers for the Saturn V, but the numbers for modern rockets seem shockingly/impossibly low. My cell phone and a single industrial motor controller each have around a dozen sensors. I'd be shocked if a SpaceX rocket didn't have thousands or tens of thousands.

Likes phyzguy and anorlunda
russ_watters said:
I can believe the numbers for the Saturn V, but the numbers for modern rockets seem shockingly/impossibly low. My cell phone and a single industrial motor controller each have around a dozen sensors. I'd be shocked if a SpaceX rocket didn't have thousands or tens of thousands.
Well, one spec for 30-ton 2-engine fighter jet i seen back in 2004 called for 256 sensor inputs in electronics bay. Will be actually lower count because some inputs are unused. Older fighters with network based on milstd-1553 were limited to 32 sensors per bus. Plus some sensors wired as stand alone.
Falcon rocket actually have Ethernet bus from beginning, which indicate they have much more than 256 sensors typical for CAN-like networks, and i expect sensor count for Falcon to be in lower thousands range.

The question in this thread is so vague, there can be no right answers or wrong answers.

Thread closed.
@senmeis , if you can provide a more specific version of your question, send me a PM and we can reopen this thread.

Likes jim hardy

1. How many sensors are typically used in a rocket?

The number of sensors used in a rocket can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the rocket. However, on average, there are usually between 500-1000 sensors used in a rocket.

2. What types of sensors are used in a rocket?

There are various types of sensors used in a rocket, including temperature sensors, pressure sensors, accelerometers, gyros, and many others. These sensors are used to monitor and collect data on different aspects of the rocket's performance and environment.

3. How do sensors in a rocket work?

Sensors in a rocket work by measuring physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, and acceleration. They then convert these measurements into electrical signals that can be transmitted to the rocket's control systems for analysis and adjustment.

4. How are sensors in a rocket tested and calibrated?

Sensors in a rocket undergo rigorous testing and calibration before being used in a launch. This includes subjecting them to extreme conditions, such as high temperatures and vibrations, to ensure they can withstand the harsh environment of space.

5. What happens if a sensor in a rocket fails?

If a sensor in a rocket fails, it can potentially impact the performance and safety of the rocket. Therefore, redundant sensors are often used in critical systems to ensure that if one sensor fails, there is a backup to continue collecting data and making adjustments as needed.