How many significant figures in the average area?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average area of a square metal sheet with varying side lengths due to temperature changes. The uncertainty and significant figures in the calculations are determined by the least number of significant figures in the length measurements. The relationship between uncertainty and standard deviation is also mentioned. The use of standard deviation in calculating average area is deemed unnecessary. A webpage with an explanation of significant figures and standard deviation is provided as a resource.
Anshul23

Homework Statement

I've been given a list of lengths of the side of a small metal sheet in the shape of a square. The length of the side of this square sheet varies with temperature. I have to calculate areas for each length and then calculate the average area. What should be the uncertainity and number of significant figures in the average area if the length with least sig figs has 8 significant figures. Is the uncertainity in average area related to the standard deviation in any way.

Homework Equations

Area of a square = length^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated the average area using the calculator but it gives over 14 sig figs whereas the least sig figs in a length entry are just 8.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the only calculation being done is multiplying/dividing then I believe you need to go with the least number of sig figs in that particular calculation.
In the case of addition/subtraction, the main thing that matters is how many places digits are after the decimal.

(If you need more help with sig figs I will try to find a webpage which explains them well.
I think uncertainty has to do with the smallest place digit but do not know about standard deviation.)

Likes Anshul23
Thank you so much for your answer. My professor has assigned us an activity in which we have to calculate the average area. Some of my friends used average area +- the standard deviation which makes no sense to me. I believe in the same process that you've mentioned.

Here is the link to a webpage with understandable explanation of significant figures and how to use them in calculations:
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch1/sigfigs.html

I hope this helps, sorry I can't help with the standard deviation except to recommend searching "what is standard deviation" if you haven't already. I just did so and one of the first links which came up, https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html appears to explain it clearly and with easy-to-follow examples (though I do not know if what you are doing is more complicated whether it would help).

Anshul23 said:
Some of my friends used average area +- the standard deviation which makes no sense to me
Agreed. The average of a set of exactly known numbers would also be exactly known. The distribution of the numbers creates no source of error.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in measuring area?

Significant figures are digits in a numerical value that are reliable and convey meaningful information. They are important in measuring area because they represent the precision and accuracy of the measurement. The more significant figures there are, the more precise the measurement is.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in an area measurement?

To determine the number of significant figures in an area measurement, count all non-zero digits and any zeros between them. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are also significant. Leading zeros before a non-zero digit are not significant. For example, an area measurement of 15.36 cm² has four significant figures.

3. Can I round an area measurement to a certain number of significant figures?

Yes, you can round an area measurement to a certain number of significant figures. To do this, identify the last significant figure based on the desired number of significant figures and then round the remaining digits. For example, if you want to round 23.456 cm² to three significant figures, the final measurement would be 23.5 cm².

4. What is the significance of using the correct number of significant figures in an area measurement?

Using the correct number of significant figures in an area measurement is important because it ensures the accuracy and precision of the measurement. If too many or too few significant figures are used, the measurement can be misleading and may not reflect the true value.

5. How do I record an area measurement with the correct number of significant figures?

To record an area measurement with the correct number of significant figures, round the measurement to the desired number of significant figures and include the unit of measurement. For example, if the area of a rectangle is calculated to be 12.345 cm², it can be recorded as 12.3 cm² with three significant figures.