How Many Tables Are Available at a Restaurant?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mary1
  • Start date
In summary, 30% of 120 tables in a restaurant are reserved, leaving 70% or 84 tables available. To find this, we can use the "trick" of assuming 10%, which is easy to calculate, and multiplying by 3 to get the equivalent of 30%. This is a simple math concept, but if you haven't used it in a while, it can take some time to remember.
Mary1
A restaurant has 120 tables, but 30% of them are reserved how many tables are available. I cannot use a calculator so need the break down. I know this seems simple but have not used math in a very long time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mary said:
A restaurant has 120 tables, but 30% of them are reserved how many tables are available. I cannot use a calculator so need the break down. I know this seems simple but have not used math in a very long time.

Hi Mary! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

If 30% are reserved, that means that 70% are available, since we have a total of 100%.
It means that we have $120 \times 70\%$ tables available.
How many would that be? (Wondering)

Mary said:
Since you cannot use a calculator, here's a "trick":
assume 10%; that's easy enough; example:
10% of 400 = 40 (divide by 10).
So 30% = 120 (3 times more).
Get my drift?

1. How is the number of available tables determined at a restaurant?

The number of available tables at a restaurant is typically determined by the seating capacity of the restaurant, which is determined by the size of the dining area and the amount of space each table takes up. The restaurant may also take into account factors such as the type of seating (booths, tables, etc.) and any special accommodations for larger groups.

2. Can I reserve a specific number of tables for my party?

Most restaurants allow customers to make reservations, which can include specifying the number of tables needed for a party. However, the availability of tables may still depend on the number of reservations made by other customers.

3. How many tables are typically available for walk-in customers?

This can vary greatly depending on the size and popularity of the restaurant. Some smaller restaurants may only have a few tables available for walk-ins, while larger restaurants may have a larger number of tables set aside for walk-in customers.

4. Can I request a specific type of table, such as a booth or a table near the window?

It is possible to make requests for specific types of tables, but it ultimately depends on the availability and the policies of the restaurant. Some may accommodate these requests while others may not be able to due to high demand for certain tables.

5. How can I find out how many tables are available at a specific restaurant?

You can usually find out the number of available tables at a restaurant by calling the restaurant directly or checking their website for information on reservations and availability. You can also ask the host/hostess when you arrive at the restaurant.