How many unique ways are there to arrange 5 people around a circular table?

In summary, there are 4! unique ways to arrange 5 people around a circular table. This is because if we freeze one person and rotate the other 4, it is equivalent to seating them as if that person were one end of a straight table. Therefore, the answer is 4! or 24 unique arrangements.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How many unique ways are there to arrange 5 people around a circular table?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be a pretty simple question, but I can't seem to focus on much of anything now, so I'm really not confident in my solution. I figured that if it were a straight line or something like that, then there would be 5! unique ways of arranging the people. However, since this is a round table, I guessed that ways of arranging individuals which were merely a rotation from another orientation shouldn't be counted more than once. Since there were five corners per se, I figured that only 1/5 of the original 5! ways of arranging people were actually unique; and thus, there would be 4! unique ways of arranging 5 people around a circular table.

I know that this reasoning isn't rigorous by any stretch of the imagination, but I was wondering if it is even correct (or if the answer is close to correct). Thanks for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
think about how 5 people sit in a row. in circular shape, we can't exactly know the start point. So we Freeze one person and all other 4 people rotates, so you are actually in a right directions

Last edited:
Yes, you can seat one person anywhere on the table, leaving the other 4 to be seated as if that person were one end of a straight table. 4! is the correct ansswer.

Related to How many unique ways are there to arrange 5 people around a circular table?

1. What is a circular table?

A circular table is a type of table that has a circular shape, meaning that it has no corners or edges. It is often used in social gatherings or events as it allows for easier communication and interaction among people sitting around it.

2. What is the probability of a randomly selected person sitting at a circular table being next to another specific person?

The probability of two specific people sitting next to each other at a circular table depends on the number of people at the table and their seating arrangements. For example, if there are 10 people at the table and two specific people must sit next to each other, the probability would be 1/9 or about 11%. However, if the seating arrangement is random, the probability would be much lower.

3. How is probability calculated for circular tables?

The probability for circular tables is calculated using the same principles as for any other type of table. It involves determining the total number of possible outcomes and the desired outcomes, and then dividing the desired outcomes by the total number of outcomes. However, for circular tables, the seating arrangement and the number of people at the table must also be taken into consideration.

4. How does the number of people at a circular table affect the probability?

The number of people at a circular table directly affects the probability as it determines the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 8 people at a circular table, the total number of possible outcomes is 8! (8 factorial) or 40,320. This means that the probability of a specific outcome, such as two specific people sitting next to each other, would be 1/40,320 or about 0.0025%. As the number of people at the table increases, the probability of a specific outcome decreases.

5. Are there any special considerations when calculating probability for circular tables?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when calculating probability for circular tables. One is that the seating arrangement must be taken into account, as certain seating arrangements may increase or decrease the probability of a specific outcome. Another consideration is that the outcomes may not be independent, meaning that the probability of one outcome may be affected by the occurrence of another outcome. Lastly, the number of people at the table can greatly impact the probability, as discussed in the previous question.