How massive is a monopole particle compared to a proton?

In summary: He says, "We are used to thinking of ourselves as small and insignificant in the face of the universe."In summary, Alan Guth's book discusses a conversation he had with Henry Tye where they agreed that GUT implied the existence of magnetic monopoles. They noted that it would take a lot of energy to create one and that it would be very heavy. The Higgs boson is much lighter than the suggest GUT scale and is also lighter than the top quark.
diogenesNY
Please forgive the thread title... it just kinda slipped out that way.

I am reading and enjoying Alan Guth's _The Inflationary Universe_. Dr. Guth is not only in command of a very lucid style of exposition, but he has a very subtle and penetrating sense of humor.

Anyway... He relates a conversation with Henry Tye. Essentially, they agreed, GUT implied the existence of magnetic monopoles. They noted that these were likely 10^16 GeV particles; it would take that much energy to create one. Guth estimates that using SLAC as a model, that sort of energy would require (using 1974 technology) a linear accelerator with a length of about 70 light years. It was also noted that this particle would be really heavy with a mass of about 10^17 GeV or about 10^17 times as massive as a proton.

Now on to my attempt at a scratchpad visualization.

Taking the mass of a Proton as 1.6726^-27 Kg, (multiple internet sites of reasonable provenance cite this figure), some simple math would place this hypothesized particle to have a mass of approximately 1.67^-10Kg.

I get that this is huge as a particle mass, but I am really a loss for a sense of scale here. I can write out the numbers. It does not appear macroscopic. Nevertheless, what, for example, weighs about 1.67^-10Kg? Just trying to wrap my head around this unusual, intermediate scale.

diogenesNY

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks...cool... looks like it is sort of nominally macroscopic after all.

I didn't think to look for orders of magnitude... I just kicked around the number and didn't get all that far. ;)

diogenesNY

P.S. That really is one heck of a massive proposed particle.

P.P.S. Scratching around, it looks like the Higgs Boson, a very massive particle, has a mass of approximately 126 protons.

Last edited:
The Higgs boson is 14 orders of magnitude lighter than the suggest GUT scale. And it is lighter than the top quark.

The Planck Mass is often compared to a flea's egg or a dust mote (Susskind).

Susskind attributes some of our difficulties to the anthropocentric scale that we impress on the universe.

1. What is a monopole?

A monopole is a hypothetical elementary particle that has only one magnetic pole, either a north or south pole, unlike traditional magnets which have both poles.

2. How do monopoles relate to the concept of mass?

Monopoles are believed to have mass just like other elementary particles, such as electrons and protons. However, their mass is still a subject of debate and further research.

3. Can monopoles be observed in nature?

There is currently no definitive evidence or observation of monopoles in nature. However, they are predicted by some theories, such as the Grand Unified Theory, and are actively being searched for in experiments.

4. What implications would the discovery of monopoles have?

The discovery of monopoles would have significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physics and the laws of electromagnetism. It could also potentially lead to new technologies, such as more efficient energy storage and transportation.

5. What challenges are associated with studying monopoles?

One of the main challenges in studying monopoles is their rarity, which makes them difficult to detect and study. Additionally, their exact properties and behavior are still unknown, making it challenging to design experiments to detect them.