How much does a Coursera certificate weigh?

In summary, Coursera and edX courses are gaining popularity but they are currently not recognized as supplements for admission into Ph.D programs or for postdoctoral positions. Many universities are hesitant to acknowledge these courses as they want to protect their traditional business model. However, change is inevitable and alternative credentialing may become more widely recognized in the future.
Keshav Melnad
Now a days coursera and edx courses are becoming popular. I too did few courses. I am just curious how much the Universities consider these courses as supplements with college regular degrees for admission for Ph.D or getting into Postdoc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keshav Melnad said:
Now a days coursera and edx courses are becoming popular. I too did few courses. I am just curious how much the Universities consider these courses as supplements with college regular degrees for admission for Ph.D or getting into Postdoc.

They are useless for that purpose.

Likes Student100
How much does a Coursera certificate weigh?

I dunno...maybe half an ounce?

As Micro says, they are useless for this.

Likes Student100
Keshav Melnad said:

Universities have to protect their business model. They are not about to recognize their competition willingly. Eventually they will be forced to as industry goes in that direction, but it's a slow process. Alternative credentialing is inevitable, but academia will be the last to get there.

1. How much does a Coursera certificate typically weigh?

The weight of a Coursera certificate varies depending on the type of material it is printed on and the size of the certificate. On average, a standard paper certificate weighs around 1 ounce (28 grams).

2. Does the weight of a Coursera certificate affect its value or credibility?

No, the weight of a Coursera certificate does not affect its value or credibility. The weight is determined by the type of material used and does not reflect the quality or legitimacy of the certificate.

3. How does the weight of a Coursera certificate compare to a traditional college degree?

The weight of a Coursera certificate is significantly lighter than a traditional college degree, which can range from 1-3 pounds (454-1361 grams) depending on the type of paper and cover used.

4. Can I request a physical copy of my Coursera certificate if I completed the course online?

Yes, you can request a physical copy of your Coursera certificate for an additional fee. However, the weight of the certificate may vary depending on the shipping method and materials used.

5. Will the weight of my Coursera certificate impact the cost of shipping?

The weight of your Coursera certificate may impact the cost of shipping if you choose to have a physical copy shipped to you. However, if you opt for a digital certificate, there is no additional cost for shipping.