How much does faculty matter in getting admission to top graduate schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of attending a research university with faculty from top universities in order to get into top graduate physics and engineering programs. The speaker also expresses doubts about their college decision to attend the University of Notre Dame over CU-Boulder, a state school known for its research programs. However, there is also mention of the value of having a quality education at a school that prioritizes undergraduate teaching. The conversation ends with the suggestion to apply for research opportunities if the lack of top research faculty at Notre Dame is a concern.
pnptruong
Hi,
I heard that in order to get into top graduate physics(and engineering) programs, people should go to research universities that have professor obtaining their PhD degrees from top universities such as MIT, Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Caltech. Is that true?

I feel really bad about my recent college decision: I chose the University of Notre Dame over CU-Boulder, my state school because they offered me a full ride. Notre Dame, though categorized as a national university, does not invest a lot in research but commits to undergrad teaching instead. Therefore, there're only a few of their faculty coming from top research universities.
CU-Boulder, on the other hand, is well-known for their research in engineering and physics programs and most of their faculty come from top universities.

Although Notre Dame is pouring a lot of money into their science and engineering programs, I doubt that there will be a drastic change in faculty while I attend the university.

Did I make a wrong choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that true?
Kind of, but not quite. Some professors* look at your adviser when deciding whether to take you into their labs/fund you, so having an adviser they know gives you an automatic boost 'cause your adviser is basically vouching that you're not a total waste of funding. A lot of professors happened to have gone to the top schools, so that's the pool they know, and 10-20 years ago, that's who was doing a lot of research, but some of the best known people are at the most random schools.

*This is what my adviser and other professors I've talked to have said.

pnptruong said:
Did I make a wrong choice?
*shrugs* You chose the school that you thought fit you best, so make the best of it. I also chose the school that gave me a free ride, but accidentally landed an adviser from a big name school 'cause I paid attention when someone spoke to me. Your school is going to have its own awesome things for you to take advantage of, so make the most of it and you'll be fine.

but commits to undergrad teaching instead
Congrats, you may get a quality education. Having had far too many awful but well funded professors, I'm envious of anyone at a school that actually values education.

If it really bothers you, just go out and apply for REUs.

If it helps any, my friend from Notre Dame is finishing his first year as a PhD student in physics at Princeton.

Related to How much does faculty matter in getting admission to top graduate schools?

1. How much does the reputation of the faculty at a graduate school affect admission chances?

The reputation of the faculty at a graduate school can have a significant impact on admission chances. Admissions committees often consider the expertise and accomplishments of the faculty when evaluating applicants. A strong faculty can also attract top applicants, making the admissions process more competitive.

2. Is it better to have letters of recommendation from well-known faculty members?

Letters of recommendation from well-known faculty members can certainly strengthen an application, as they provide insight into your academic abilities and potential. However, it is important to note that these letters are just one component of a complete application and should not be solely relied upon for admission to a top graduate school.

3. Do admissions committees look at the specific faculty members in the department you are applying to?

Yes, admissions committees often take into account the specific faculty members in the department you are applying to. They may consider factors such as the department's research focus and the availability of research opportunities with specific faculty members. It is important to research the faculty members in your desired department and highlight any relevant connections or interests in your application.

4. How much does the faculty-to-student ratio at a graduate school matter for admissions?

The faculty-to-student ratio at a graduate school can play a role in admissions decisions, as it reflects the level of individual attention and support that students may receive. However, this is just one factor among many that admissions committees consider. A low faculty-to-student ratio does not guarantee admission, and a high ratio does not necessarily harm your chances.

5. Do graduate schools prefer applicants who have conducted research with faculty members?

While conducting research with faculty members can certainly be beneficial for your application, it is not a requirement for admission to top graduate schools. Admissions committees also value other experiences and achievements, such as internships, relevant coursework, and strong letters of recommendation. Ultimately, it is important to showcase your unique strengths and qualifications in your application.