How Much Energy is Dissipated When Braking from 75 to 55 mph?

• Thread starter thetexan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a car decelerating from 75 mph to 55 mph in 3 seconds and the potential calculation of energy dissipated by the car's four disc brakes. The experts agree that if the deceleration was constant, the energy can easily be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. However, if the deceleration was not constant, a function for velocity with time would be needed. Ultimately, the energy will always be converted into another form.
thetexan
Here's the scenario...

I'm driving down the highway at 75 mph and not paying attention. I suddenly see a 55 mph speed limit sign and hit the brakes to slow down. I decelerate from 75 to 55 in 3 seconds. The car weighs 4700 lbs and has 4 disc brakes.

Now assuming the only factor is the friction of the brakes (no wind resistance, etc.) do I have enough info to calculate how much energy was dissipated by the 4 brakes and determine if that was all in heat and if so how much heat? If not precisely, a good estimate?

tex

Physics news on Phys.org
If the deceleration was constant, then yes, it can easily be calculated. Just apply conservation of energy.

what if the deceleration was not constant?

Still can do the same thing.
If the only force acting was friction, all the kinetic energy lost is dissipated by friction.
All you need is the initial and final KE.

Likes gleem
gleem said:
I guess using the average deceleration while applying the brake would get you the same or a very close to same result.

You don't need any deceleration to answer the question in the OP.

gleem said:
You would need a function ##v(t)## which describes the velocity of the car with time. The force can easily be represented by ##F=m\frac{dv}{dt}##. Kinetic energy is given by ##E=\int_{s_1}^{s_2} Fds##. Can you guess how to represent F in terms of s? If yes, then you'll see that the solution is just as straight forward :wink: .

You don't need that. Just take initial energy - final energy.

Khashishi said:
You don't need that. Just take initial energy - final energy.
But the OP asked for a calculus approach.

PWiz said:
But the OP asked for a calculus approach.

Where? I see nothing about that in the original post.

Drakkith said:
Where? I see nothing about that in the original post.
Whoops, I guess I mixed that question up with some other one :confused:
@OP If you don't have to show steps of calculus, then you can simply use the formula ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##, and you have all the information you need. (Actually this formula is derived from calculus since ##\int_0^{s} Fds= m \int_0^s \frac{dv}{dt} ds= m \int_0^v v dv##, which yields the Newtonian expression above) Just remember that the energy will always be converted into some other form.

1. How is energy measured?

Energy is typically measured in units of joules (J), which is the amount of energy required to move a one newton force over a distance of one meter.

2. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

3. How is energy transferred?

Energy can be transferred through various processes such as heat, work, or electromagnetic radiation.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy spent?

The amount of energy spent can be affected by the mass, velocity, and height of an object, as well as external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How is energy conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.