How much energy is stored in borax element?

In summary, one tea-spoon of borax can extract as much energy as 100 tons of coal. However, this claim is not entirely accurate as borax is not a pure element but a compound and cannot be used as fuel in nuclear devices. There have been some discussions about using boron compounds as a hydrogen source for fuel cells, but it is not a widely used method. BORAX reactors, which used boron as a neutron absorber, were also developed but it is unclear if there is any serious scientific basis behind it."
hkBattousai
One of my friends is insisting that a car can go 19000km with only 1kg of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax" , and only one tea-spoon of borax can extract as much energy 100 tons of coal does.

Is that true?
Does borax contain this much of chemical energy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
There has been some chatter about sodium borohydride as a hydrogen source for fuel cells. That's about the closest thing I can think of that your friend may be referring to.

Borax is not an element, it is a compound. Boron is an element.

When speaking about chemical energy there are no materials with so high energy density.

I don't remember details, some claim boron can be used as fuel in nuclear devices (it is used in all existing reactor designs as a neutron absorber, but that's a different thing). No idea if there is serious physics or crackpottery behind.

Then, there were BORAX reactors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BORAX-I

Related to How much energy is stored in borax element?

1. How is energy stored in borax element?

Energy is stored in borax element through the formation of chemical bonds between the atoms in the molecule. When these bonds are broken, energy is released.

2. What type of energy is stored in borax element?

Borax element stores potential energy, which is a form of chemical energy. This energy is released when the chemical bonds are broken.

3. How can the amount of energy stored in borax element be measured?

The amount of energy stored in borax element can be measured using a calorimeter. This device measures the change in temperature when the chemical bonds in the molecule are broken.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in borax element?

The amount of energy stored in borax element is affected by the type and strength of chemical bonds in the molecule, as well as the size and arrangement of the atoms in the molecule.

5. How does the storage of energy in borax element impact its properties?

The storage of energy in borax element can impact its physical and chemical properties. For example, the release of energy when the bonds are broken can cause the substance to melt, dissolve, or undergo a chemical reaction.