How Much Force to Stop a Car on a Dime?

In summary: So the net force needed to stop the car is equal to the work done by the force divided by the distance the car has traveled. In summary, it would take a force of about 8 kg to stop the car at the dime.
robbondo

Homework Statement

An advertisement claims that a particular automobile can "stop on a dime." What net force would actually be necessary to stop an automobile of mass m traveling initially at a speed of v in a distance equal to the diameter of a dime, which is d?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that to stop the car you need to have a force equal to the force of the car at that point. And I know that if there is a distance and change in acceleration there must be some way to relate it to force. I'm just about completely lost though. I'm assuming there must be some simple way to solve this using Newtons laws. I think I just need a little direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming constant acceleration, you can use the kinematic equation

[tex] a = \frac{v_2^2-v_1^2}{2d}[/tex]

Where [itex]v_2-v_1[/itex] is the change in speed over the distance [itex]d[/itex], [itex]a[/itex] is the acceleration you seek.

Last edited:
robbondo said:

Homework Statement

An advertisement claims that a particular automobile can "stop on a dime." What net force would actually be necessary to stop an automobile of mass m traveling initially at a speed of v in a distance equal to the diameter of a dime, which is d?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that to stop the car you need to have a force equal to the force of the car at that point. And I know that if there is a distance and change in acceleration there must be some way to relate it to force. I'm just about completely lost though. I'm assuming there must be some simple way to solve this using Newtons laws. I think I just need a little direction.

Use conservation of energy. The kinetic energy of the car must be canceled by the work done by the force.

Related to How Much Force to Stop a Car on a Dime?

1. What are Newton's Three Laws of Motion?

Newton's Three Laws of Motion are:

• First Law: An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.
  • Second Law: The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be seen in many everyday situations. For example:

• First Law: You feel yourself being pushed back when a car suddenly accelerates.
  • Second Law: The more force you apply to a shopping cart, the faster it will accelerate.
  • Third Law: When you jump off a diving board, you push down on the board and it pushes back up on you, propelling you into the air.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and is the same regardless of location, while weight is measured in newtons (N) and can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How do Newton's Laws relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will resist changes in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless a force is applied.

5. Can Newton's Laws be broken?

No, Newton's Laws are fundamental principles of physics and cannot be broken. They have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the behavior of objects in motion.