How much g's creates a 100 lbs punch to the head?

• Thread starter freexd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary: In the first scenario, the head would experience an acceleration of 10 g. In the second scenario, the head would experience an acceleration of 444 g.
freexd
Hi guys,

I heard in the news today that a punch of a pro boxer can create about 50 g. I was just wondering how much g's a rather weak punch(100 lbs) can create?

Physics news on Phys.org
The human head weighs about 5 to 10 lbs. So a 100 lbs force applied to the head could cause an acceleration of 10 to 20 g, assuming no resistance from the neck.

Likes freexd
Thanks for the answer! One more question - how much Newtons creates the punch itself?

So the result is 444N. Thanks for your help.

I wanted to ask a similar question. I hope I am allowed continue this thread.

So the punch to the head stays the same, but what would be the g force if the head only moves 1 or 2 mm and then suddenly stops?

would be great if you could post the formulas for this calculation.

Thanks

The acceleration (in units of g if you like) is the result of dividing force (100 pounds-force) by mass (5 to 10 pounds-mass). It does not matter whether that force is applied for a long time or short, a long distance or a short. The resulting acceleration is the same.

If the head then suddenly stops, the g force for the deceleration would be infinite.

One relevant formula is ##f=ma## -- force (f) is equal to the product of mass (m) and acceleration (a) in a coherent system of units. If force is measured in pounds-force, mass is measured in pounds-mass and acceleration is measured in g's then the units are "coherent" enough for this purpose.

Another formula is ##p=ft## -- the change in momentum (p) from a constant force (f) exerted for a time (t) is equal to the product of force and time.

Likes paget
Basically i undersand what you said,

but what means 'the deceleration would be infinite'?

Does it mean that the g forces can't be calculated in my example? My case referred to an actual situation, namely if a person stands very near to a wall(space 2 mm) and gets punched to the head.

paget said:
My case referred to an actual situation, namely if a person stands very near to a wall(space 2 mm) and gets punched to the head.
Neither the head, nor the wall are perfectly rigid. You have to now how much they deform to compute the acceleration.

Likes paget
If the question really is about a boxer then why has it been mostly assumed that the 'force' of the punch will last for as long as you want? I think this assumption has been made without qualification and it is just possible that people may get the wrong idea about the reality of the situation. It's obviously right to quote F=ma but that is not really enough to deal with a punching situation. Imo, the proper answer to the OP is much more complicated and must include the momentum changes of the head mass, coupled to the body and the fist mass, coupled to the other body.
I don't suggest that things should necessarily be taken further than they have been, here but that there is a massive caveat required, lest anyone jump to unjustified conclusions.

Likes billy_joule, paget and jbriggs444
I couldn't reply earlier, as I didn't have much time

Ok I see now that this is indeed a complicated example. The only thing that really interested me here was, how much the stop of the head highers the g forces, compared to the case when there is no wall behind. To calculate this, we could simply take reasonable numbers. The question is, what parameters do we need?

Some were mentioned in the previous post. Let's assume the wall moves 1 mm due to the impact, and the head caves in 1 mm as well. The fist weighs 1.5 lbs, the mass of the body is 165 lbs (both persons). The head weighs 10 lbs.

As I said, the only thing that would interest me is the difference of the g forces, when the head is suddenly stopped.

I hope it can be calculated now.

If I understand what you want, you want to calculate the acceleration (g-force) of the head in the following two scenarios:

A 10 lb head accelerated by a 100 lb punch with no neck or head restraint forces.

A 10 lb head accelerated by a 100 lb punch for 2 mm and then decelerated by a wall for 2 mm (1 mm of give from the wall and 1 mm of give from the head). Do you want the force of the punch to continue during the phase where the wall is also decelerating the head (I would assume so).

I agree with sophiecentaur that the real biomechanics of a punch are far more complicated than this model of a punch, but with that caveat what you ask can be calculated.

DaleSpam, you understood completely right what my question was.

DaleSpam said:
Do you want the force of the punch to continue during the phase where the wall is also decelerating the head (I would assume so).

It would be great if you could show me both ways.

Thanks in advance.

Related to How much g's creates a 100 lbs punch to the head?

1. How is the force of a punch measured in terms of g's?

The force of a punch is typically measured in units of Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for force in the metric system. However, some scientists use the unit of g's, which is a measure of acceleration due to gravity. This is because the force of a punch is ultimately determined by the acceleration of the fist and arm.

2. How much g's does a 100 lbs punch create?

The amount of g's produced by a 100 lbs punch depends on a variety of factors, including the speed, technique, and strength of the puncher. However, on average, a 100 lbs punch may produce anywhere from 50 to 100 g's of force.

3. Is there a limit to how many g's a human body can withstand?

Yes, there is a limit to how many g's a human body can withstand. This limit varies from person to person, but on average, a person can withstand up to 5 g's before experiencing significant physical effects. However, with proper training and conditioning, some individuals may be able to withstand higher g-forces.

4. What are the potential consequences of being hit with a 100 lbs punch?

Being hit with a 100 lbs punch can result in a variety of injuries, including concussions, brain damage, and even death. The severity of the consequences depends on the location and force of the punch, as well as the physical condition of the victim.

5. Can a punch with 100 lbs of force be lethal?

Yes, a punch with 100 lbs of force can be lethal. However, this is not always the case and depends on a variety of factors, including the location and angle of the punch, as well as the physical condition of the victim. It is important to note that even a punch with less force can be lethal if it hits a vulnerable or vital area of the body.