How much H.P for a sugar cane crusher?

• Thread starter Bob02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, the amount of power required to crush a sugar cane stalk will depend on the model you choose, the speed you want to operate it at, and the size of the roller. I think a 1/4 HP motor will be enough for most home use.
Bob02
Hi there
I'm new to this form
Want to ask that , how much power in H.P will be sufficient to crush medium size (1 inch in dia) sugar cane stalk by the miniature sugar cane crusher for home use.The roller of the crusher will have a size of 6 inch in length and 3 inch in dia. the rollers will be of 304 s.s and in one piece, meaning the whole shaft and roller will be of one piece. that will be driven by the chain or may be directly connected to the main without using any chain or belt.
Any further idea about the design will also be welcomed especially about using chain, belt or not using them at all. the over all dimension can be any where to 12x10x10 where 12 is the height.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
power is not the same thing as energy which is not the same thing as force. So the question doesn't make sense.

Bob02 said:
Hi there
I'm new to this form
Want to ask that , how much power in H.P will be sufficient to crush medium size (1 inch in dia) sugar cane stalk by the miniature sugar cane crusher for home use.The roller of the crusher will have a size of 6 inch in length and 3 inch in dia. the rollers will be of 304 s.s and in one piece, meaning the whole shaft and roller will be of one piece. that will be driven by the chain or may be directly connected to the main without using any chain or belt.
Any further idea about the design will also be welcomed especially about using chain, belt or not using them at all. the over all dimension can be any where to 12x10x10 where 12 is the height.

Welcome to the PF.

As Curl points out, the amount of power input into performing your crushing task depends on several things, including how much and how fast you want to crush.

I'd guess that for home use, you're just doing one cane at a time, and can go slowly. I used Google Images to see what is commercially available, and got plenty of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1195&bih=726

There are even some hand-operated models shown in the results, so it can't take much power if you gear down the crank handle connection to the rollers. Have you seen units like these? Some say that you can use either the crank handle or electric power. If you can find specs on those models, that will tell you the approximate power you need from the motor.

thanks berkesman
I saw a model with 3 rollers, being driven by 1/4 HP motor and having chain too. I intend to use direct drive and 2 rollers so I guess 1/4 or even 1/8 HP should be fine. the motor will drive directly the main roller, both the shafts(roller+motor's) will be connected by the joint. I haven't seen any such thing else where that's why seeking advise.I guess 12 to 18 rpm should be safe and powerful enough to get the job done.

Thank you for your inquiry about the power needed for a sugar cane crusher. The amount of horsepower required will depend on several factors, including the size and type of motor used, the efficiency of the crushing mechanism, and the speed at which the crusher operates. However, based on the dimensions and materials you have provided, it is estimated that a minimum of 1-2 horsepower (HP) would be sufficient for crushing medium-sized sugar cane stalks.

Regarding the design, using a chain or belt to drive the crusher may provide more stability and control over the crushing process. However, it is possible to directly connect the crusher to the main without using any chain or belt. This design may require a stronger and more powerful motor to ensure efficient crushing.

Overall, it is recommended to consult with a professional engineer or conduct further research to determine the most suitable design and power requirements for your specific needs. I hope this information helps and good luck with your project.

1. How much horsepower is needed for a sugar cane crusher?

The amount of horsepower needed for a sugar cane crusher depends on various factors such as the size and type of the crusher, the speed of operation, and the type of sugar cane being crushed. Generally, a small-scale crusher will require around 1-2 horsepower, while larger commercial crushers may require up to 10 horsepower or more.

2. Can a sugar cane crusher run on electricity?

Yes, a sugar cane crusher can run on electricity. Many modern crushers are designed to run on electricity, making them more efficient and environmentally friendly. However, some traditional or smaller crushers may still require manual or mechanical power to operate.

3. What is the average crushing capacity of a sugar cane crusher?

The crushing capacity of a sugar cane crusher varies depending on its size and type. On average, a small-scale crusher can crush around 200-300 kilograms of sugar cane per hour, while larger commercial crushers can have a crushing capacity of up to 2,000 kilograms per hour.

4. How do you maintain a sugar cane crusher?

Maintaining a sugar cane crusher involves regular cleaning and lubrication of its parts, as well as checking for any wear and tear. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and to use high-quality materials for replacement parts to ensure the crusher functions properly and efficiently.

5. Can a sugar cane crusher be used for other crops?

While a sugar cane crusher is specifically designed to crush sugar cane, it can also be used for other crops with similar characteristics, such as sorghum or bamboo. However, it is important to adjust the crusher settings and blades accordingly to ensure efficient crushing and prevent damage to the machine.