How much is the mass of the sun losing every second?

In summary, the sun's power output is 4 x 10^26 Watts, and to calculate how long it will be able to shine, one can use the equation E=mc^2 to determine the amount of mass it is losing per second. However, it is important to consider if the power output will remain constant over time.
trevorr93
My friend told me that the sun is going to get smaller and smaller every year because it's getting used up? I've read that the power output is 4 x 10^26 Watts. How can i figure out how much mass it's losing a second? because then I will be able to find how long the sun will be able to shine on me and my children (hopefully).

thanks.

I don't really know how to attempt this problem because it's really random and i don't know any formulas for power.

merci.

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i think E=mc^2 will help me out thanks. wow I don't think my children will live to see the sun. sucks for them i am going to take lots of pictures i guess ..

1 watt = 1 joule per second

Mass is converted into energy through the equation

E = mc^2.

But is the power quoted going to remain constant throughout all the time t to be calculated?

Related to How much is the mass of the sun losing every second?

1. How is the mass of the sun being measured?

The mass of the sun is measured using a variety of methods, including observations of its gravitational effects on other celestial bodies, analyzing its spectral emissions, and studying the orbits of planets and other objects around it.

2. What is the current estimate for the mass loss of the sun per second?

The current estimate for the mass loss of the sun per second is approximately 4.3 million tons. This mass loss is primarily due to the conversion of hydrogen into helium through nuclear fusion reactions in the sun's core.

3. How does the mass loss of the sun affect its size?

The mass loss of the sun does not have a significant impact on its size. While the sun is constantly losing mass, it is also constantly gaining mass through the fusion of hydrogen into helium, which helps to maintain its overall size and stability.

4. Is the rate of mass loss of the sun constant?

No, the rate of mass loss of the sun is not constant. It can vary due to changes in solar activity, such as the number and intensity of sunspots and solar flares. However, these variations are relatively small and do not significantly affect the overall mass loss of the sun.

5. Will the sun eventually run out of mass?

Yes, eventually the sun will run out of mass and cease to exist. This is estimated to happen in approximately 5 billion years, when it will have consumed all of its hydrogen fuel and will expand into a red giant before eventually collapsing into a white dwarf.