How much it useful to learn two compiler?

• Thread starter samieee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compiler
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two different compilers, Turbo C and Visual C, in a C programming course. The benefits of learning two compilers include being able to choose the best tool for a specific job and avoiding reliance on compiler-specific features. However, there may be concerns with using an outdated compiler like Turbo C for C++ programming.
samieee
hello

As I am doing c programming course in this semester, our course instructor told today that we will use turbo C in theory class and visual c in lab to compile our written programmes.Now the question that arose in my mind, is it useful to learn to work with two compilers?In which way can I be benefited from learning two compilers?

Technology news on Phys.org
If you have two tools you know how to use, then you can use the one better for any particular job. :wink:

Also, it will help you avoid falling into the trap of relying on compiler-specific features, and then being totally lost if you ever have to write something portable, or if you're stuck using a different compiler.

That said, isn't Turbo C rather antiquated? I'd be afraid you'd be learning bad habits or even an incorrect version of the language -- especially if you were writing C++. Modern C++ is practically an entire different language than it was 20 years ago.

Turbo C++? Blast from the past, that is for sure. Though I just threw out my copies of old compilers this year. ( my wife finally put her foot down ). I had 3 versions of Borland compilers, 5 Versions of Microsoft, including QuickC. The 2 versions of Zortech C++ I kept.

1. How beneficial is it to learn two different compilers?

Learning two different compilers can be highly beneficial for a scientist. It allows for a deeper understanding of the compilation process and the ability to work with a wider range of programming languages and platforms.

2. Will learning two compilers make me a better programmer?

Learning two compilers can definitely improve your programming skills. It can help you develop problem-solving abilities and improve your understanding of computer systems and programming languages.

3. Is it worth the time and effort to learn two compilers?

While it may take some time and effort to learn two compilers, the benefits can outweigh the investment. It can open up more job opportunities and make you a more versatile and valuable asset in the field of computer science.

4. Can learning two compilers help me stay updated with new technologies?

Yes, learning two compilers can keep you up-to-date with new technologies. By familiarizing yourself with different compilers, you can easily adapt to new programming languages and stay relevant in the constantly evolving world of technology.

5. Is it necessary for a scientist to know multiple compilers?

While it may not be necessary for all scientists to know multiple compilers, it can greatly benefit those working in fields that require programming and data analysis skills. It can also make collaborating with other scientists and engineers easier, as you will have a better understanding of their code and tools.