How much mass does 'Dark Matter' and 'Nothing' (empty space) have?

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition and mass of the universe, specifically the amount of dark matter and its effects on the universe's gravitational pull. One person mentions that matter and radiation make up 0.23 joule per cubic kilometer, with 5/6 of that being dark matter and 1/6 being ordinary matter. Another person mentions that the cosmological constant may not correspond to "dark energy" and that dark matter has been proven to exist, but "dark energy" is more of a passing fad. The conversation ends with a comparison of the amount of mass in a typical swimming pool, which is significantly less than the mass of the universe.
Rorkster2
I know these are ambiguous questions and am probably opening up a complex can of worms. I figure if we know how much of the universe is composed of dark matter and it's effects, we should also have an idea about its mass from its gravitational pull. Also I figure since truelly empty space also has a nearly infinite presents of virtual particles and contains zero point energy, that it might have a definitive 'mass' we can associate with it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Baryonic [neutrons, protons, etc.] and non-baryonic [dark matter] comprises about 1/4 of the total energy content of the universe under the LCDM model.

Chronos said:
Baryonic [neutrons, protons, etc.] and non-baryonic [dark matter] comprises about 1/4 of the total energy content of the universe under the LCDM model.

Thanks but I'm not asking about ratios, I'm more interested in solid numbers.

Anyone here have any insight into this?

Matter and radiation together are estimated to amount to about 0.23 joule per cubic kilometer (energy equivalent).

About 5/6 of this is dark matter, and 1/6 is ordinary matter. The contribution from radiation is very slight.

If you paste this into google :
.23 joule/c^2
it will tell you 2.56 x 10-18 kilogram
That is how much mass per cubic kilometer.
I find the mass figure hard to remember and how to make intuitive. So I remember the energy equivalent of it. You can always divide energy by c2 to get the mass equivalent.

I don't think that empty space has any mass comparable to what I just told you comes from actual matter (dark, ordinary) and radiation.
The cosmological constant is just that, a constant in the law of gravity. There is no convincing evidence that it corresponds to some weird "dark energy" although some people talk about it that way.

Dark matter has turned out to be real, concentrations of it can be mapped and it has played an important role in the formation of galaxies etc. But "dark energy" has been something of a passing fad. Increasingly in scientific papers the authors simply refer to the cosmological constant as that, and don't use the term "dark energy."

If the cosmological constant WERE a manifestation of some kind of "dark energy" then that energy would be 0.60 joules per cubic kilometer. So the total would be 0.83 joules per km3.

marcus said:
2.56 x 10-18 kilogram
That is how much mass per cubic kilometer.
I find the mass figure hard to remember and how to make intuitive.
About twenty million atoms plus about five times the mass in dark matter. Typical small swimming pool is about 10m on a side and 1m-ish deep. You're talking 2-ish atoms in the whole thing plus about five times as much dark matter.

Compare the normal contents of a swimming pool, around 1031 water molecules.

'Solid' numbers are absolutely meaningless without comparison. Ratios are as good as we can get from cosmology.

Related to How much mass does 'Dark Matter' and 'Nothing' (empty space) have?

1. How do scientists measure the mass of dark matter?

Scientists use indirect methods to measure the mass of dark matter, such as observing its gravitational effects on visible matter and using computer simulations to estimate its distribution.

2. Is the mass of dark matter constant throughout the universe?

There is still debate among scientists about the exact distribution of dark matter in the universe, so it is difficult to determine if its mass is constant throughout.

3. Can we see or directly detect dark matter?

No, dark matter does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, so it cannot be seen or directly detected. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

4. How much mass does empty space have?

Empty space, also known as a vacuum, does not have any mass. However, it is theorized that it may contain energy and particles that pop in and out of existence, but these are not considered to contribute significantly to the mass of the universe.

5. How does the mass of dark matter compare to the mass of visible matter?

Dark matter is estimated to make up about 27% of the total mass of the universe, while visible matter only accounts for about 5%. So, dark matter is significantly more abundant than visible matter, but its mass is still not fully understood.