How much of an approximation are power measuring tools for martial arts?

In summary: I don't know. I imagine it would be pretty powerful, but I wouldn't want to use it.In summary, this Power Cube device is capable of reporting EXACTLY how hard Francis Ngannou punched, but it is biased towards mass or speed and may overestimate one of the components. It is new technology, and is not comparable to other instruments. My daughter was in martial arts for many years and could break 4 boards stacked together with one fist punch, but if she hit the target at the same place every time it would be inaccurate.
Username34
For instance this Power Cube device.

Is it capable of reporting EXACTLY how hard Francis Ngannou punched, or will it be biased towards mass or speed and overestimate one of the components?

How "off" from the actual physics of reality do you expect such a tool to be? 5%? 10%? 20%?

Physics news on Phys.org
Username34 said:
EXACTLY
No. No instrument is exact. All have uncertainties.

Further "how hard they punched" is not a physical term. Force? Pressure? Impulse? Something else?

Likes BillTre
Username34 said:
Is it capable of reporting EXACTLY how hard Francis Ngannou punched, or will it be biased towards mass or speed and overestimate one of the components?

How "off" from the actual physics of reality do you expect such a tool to be? 5%? 10%? 20%?
I don't think there's an accepted "actual physics" measure of how "hard" a punch is, so that device picks something and measures that. I'm speculating that it measures the displacement over time of a collection of strong springs or springy pads, and calculates energy and power from that. I'd expect it to be pretty accurate (<5% should be possible) for what it is measuring.

Likes BillTre
Username34 said:
For instance this Power Cube device.

My daughter was in martial arts for many years. If I remember correctly, it really depended where she hit the target. IMO, I'd say 20% or more.

Likes BillTre
dlgoff said:
My daughter was in martial arts for many years. If I remember correctly, it really depended where she hit the target. IMO, I'd say 20% or more.
That sounds more like an inaccurate punch than an inaccurate measurement to me.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
russ_watters said:
That sounds more like an inaccurate punch than an inaccurate measurement to me.
Trust me. She wasn't inaccurate. She could break 4 boards stacked together with one fist punch. Had to be accurate for that.

• Skeptical
Likes nsaspook and russ_watters
russ_watters said:
I don't think there's an accepted "actual physics" measure of how "hard" a punch is, so that device picks something and measures that. I'm speculating that it measures the displacement over time of a collection of strong springs or springy pads, and calculates energy and power from that. I'd expect it to be pretty accurate (<5% should be possible) for what it is measuring.
My question was regarding power.

dlgoff said:

This is brand new technology, so no not comparable.

Likes dlgoff
"That sounds more like an inaccurate punch than an inaccurate measurement to me."
Well, I kept some of the boards she broke:
smallboards.JPG

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
She could break 4 boards stacked together with one fist punch.
Is this the same dainty daughter who likes flying planes upside down?

berkeman said:
Is this the same dainty daughter who likes flying planes upside down?
Yes!

@berkeman
BTW. She is teaching 4 other girl students now that she is a CFI (Certified Flying Instructor)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Borek, BillTre, russ_watters and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I don't think there's an accepted "actual physics" measure of how "hard" a punch is
Why would mechanical power be a good enough definition?

Username34 said:
I don't love it, I think I'd prefer energy. @dlgoff 's daughter surely knows that it's energy that breaks a board, not power.

dlgoff said:
Trust me. She wasn't inaccurate. She could break 4 boards stacked together with one fist punch. Had to be accurate for that.
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but you said she wasn't hitting the target at the same place every time.

russ_watters said:
I don't love it, I think I'd prefer energy. @dlgoff 's daughter surely knows that it's energy that breaks a board, not power.
Yes. You are correct.

russ_watters said:
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but you said she wasn't hitting the target at the same place every time.
No. I said she had to be accurate. Meaning, she had to hit right in the center of the four boards. I saved a few of the boards she broke:
smallboards.JPG

dlgoff said:
I said she had to be accurate. Meaning, she had to hit right in the center of the four boards.
That, and hitting hard enough while using her hand correctly. I once spent a fun afternoon showing friends how to punch out windows in an abandoned building that was being demolished. Hit (leather gloves required) hard enough with the correct knuckle, and the window shattered with no pain on my part. Hit not quite hard enough, or with the hand slightly out of position, resulted in pain and an unbroken window.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
My daughter was in martial arts for many years.
Gives new meaning to the term "striking beauty".

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Tom.G, BillTre, dlgoff and 1 other person
How powerful do you guys think is on a powercube?

Likes dlgoff
Username34 said:

Username34 said:
It may be helpful for you to do a Google search for helmet impact testing methods to see what-all is used for certifying helmet designs. The purpose of a helmet is obviously to protect the head from real-world impacts as much as possible, and they will use certain test techniques to quantify that protection level.

In a sense, you are asking the opposite question, but the helmet test standards are targeted at real-world impacts to the head that can cause damage to the person. Some of the test standards record the peak acceleration, but other tests use other techniques.

And since the motion of the head during impact also makes a difference for damage, it would probably be better if that test cube thing used a simulated head instead of being mounted rigidly. Just the Medic in me talking out loud...

Likes Vanadium 50
dlgoff said:
"That sounds more like an inaccurate punch than an inaccurate measurement to me."
Well, I kept some of the boards she broke:
View attachment 330132
Yes, and you'll notice that all the boards are broken WITH the grain, which is actually pretty easy. The test is if you can break even one board across the grain. You are right, of course that she had to hit at or near the center to get maximum leverage on the board.

As far as I'm aware, no martial arts board breaking is every done across the grain.

phinds said:
As far as I'm aware, no martial arts board breaking is every done across the grain.
What about the concrete breaking demos...

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
She did a little of that, but if I remember correctly, she used a palm strike (heal of hand), not a knuckle strike.

• Wow
Likes BillTre and berkeman
berkeman said:
They don't have any grain direction. I'm not suggesting that martial arts breaking of stuff is fake or anything, just that wooden breaks are always with the grain.

When I took Tae Kwan Do about 100 years ago, I brought home some of the pine boards to show my kid. I broke three stacked together (supported at both ends but not in the middle) and he was impressed.

Then I took the one I had put aside, which I could tell was the weakest of the lot, and I broke it just by gripping my fingers over the edges and then pressing the center with my thumbs. I am not particularly strong. I was showing him how pine boards break with the grain very easily.

Then I took one of my own that I had cut to the same length as the others but with the grain running along the length, not cross-grain, and smashed it in the center with a sledge mallet and all I did was dent it.

My lesson for him was not about martial arts, it was a graphic demonstration of the differences in wood strength across the grain and with the grain.

Likes Tom.G, Lnewqban, BillTre and 1 other person
berkeman said:
It may be helpful for you to do a Google search for helmet impact testing methods to see what-all is used for certifying helmet designs. The purpose of a helmet is obviously to protect the head from real-world impacts as much as possible, and they will use certain test techniques to quantify that protection level.

In a sense, you are asking the opposite question, but the helmet test standards are targeted at real-world impacts to the head that can cause damage to the person. Some of the test standards record the peak acceleration, but other tests use other techniques.

And since the motion of the head during impact also makes a difference for damage, it would probably be better if that test cube thing used a simulated head instead of being mounted rigidly. Just the Medic in me talking out loud...
Which is more crucial for power in terms of baseline mass - a heavy fist (big bone density) or a heavy arm with regular sized fist? Francis Ngannou has very big arms but his fist can't compare to this guy..

• Wow
Likes dlgoff

1. How accurate are power measuring tools for martial arts?

The accuracy of power measuring tools for martial arts can vary depending on the specific tool being used. Some tools, such as force plates or accelerometers, can provide very precise measurements. However, other tools, such as punching bags with built-in sensors, may have a larger margin of error. It is important to consider the specific tool being used and its capabilities when assessing accuracy.

2. Can power measuring tools be used for all types of martial arts?

It is possible to use power measuring tools for a variety of martial arts, but the accuracy and usefulness may vary depending on the specific style. For example, tools that measure force may be more useful for striking martial arts like boxing or taekwondo, while tools that measure speed may be more useful for grappling martial arts like judo or wrestling.

3. How do power measuring tools work for martial arts?

Power measuring tools for martial arts typically work by measuring either force or speed. Some tools, such as force plates, use sensors to measure the amount of force being applied to them. Other tools, such as punching bags with built-in sensors, may use accelerometers to measure the speed and force of a strike. These measurements can then be used to calculate power.

4. Are power measuring tools necessary for training in martial arts?

Power measuring tools are not necessary for training in martial arts, as there are other ways to assess and improve power, such as through sparring or drills. However, these tools can provide valuable data and feedback for athletes and coaches looking to track progress and make improvements in their training.

5. Can power measuring tools be used to prevent injury in martial arts?

While power measuring tools can provide valuable information about an athlete's performance, they are not specifically designed for injury prevention. However, by tracking and monitoring power output, athletes and coaches may be able to identify patterns or imbalances that could lead to injury and make adjustments to their training accordingly.