How much of the wooden timber was submerged in water?

V=20.62 \ cc$In summary, the mass of a timber is 20 grams and its density is 0.27 grams per cubic centimeter. When submerged in water, it was released to a density of 0.970 grams per cubic centimeter. Using the formula for buoyant force and weight, the volume of the timber was calculated to be 20.6185 cubic meters. However, the book's answer of 20.62 cubic centimeters was also correct, but there was a factor of 10^6 error in converting from kilograms to grams.
Istiak
Homework Statement
Mass of a timber is $20 \ g$. And, density of that timber is $0.27 \ g/cc$. That timber was bind to a metallic materials and, it was released to $0.970 \ g/cc$ water. How much the wood was submerged in water?
Relevant Equations
$$F=Ah\rho g$$
>Mass of a timber is $20 \ g$. And, density of that timber is $0.27 \ g/cc$. That timber was bind to a metallic materials and, it was released to $0.970 \ g/cc$ water. How much the wood was submerged in water?

I was trying to solve the problem following way.

$$F=Ah\rho g$$
$$=V\rho g$$
$$=V \ m^3 \cdot 970 \ kgm^{-3} \cdot 9.8 ms^{-2}$$
$$=9506V \ N$$
$$W=mg$$
$$=20_{\times 10^3} \ kg \times 9.8 \ ms^{-2}$$
$$=196000 \ N$$
$$W=F$$
$$9506V \ N=196000 \ N$$
$$V=20.6185 \ m^3$$

I think that I didn't do any mistake while solving that problem. Even, I didn't do any mistake of Units. But, I was wondering why my book wrote that $V=20.62 \ cc$. Both answer matched. But, I was thinking of Units. I am just showing a line what they did than, you will understand what they actually did.

$$19620 \ dyne = 951.57 V \ dyne$$
$$V=20.62 \ cm^3=20.62 \ cc$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Istiakshovon said:
>Mass of a timber is $20 \ g$.

Istiakshovon said:
$$=20_{\times 10^3} \ kg$$
Do you see the factor of ##10^6## error there?

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes berkeman, Delta2 and Istiak
jbriggs444 said:
Do you see the factor of 10^6 error there?
Ohh! $1 \ kg = 1000 \ g$ but, I took opposite. That's the mistake than,

Likes Delta2 and jbriggs444

1. How do you calculate the amount of wooden timber submerged in water?

To calculate the amount of wooden timber submerged in water, you can use the formula V = A x L, where V is the volume of the timber, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the timber. You will need to measure the dimensions of the submerged portion of the timber to plug into the formula.

2. Why is it important to know how much of the wooden timber was submerged in water?

Knowing the amount of wooden timber submerged in water is important for various reasons. It can help determine the buoyancy of the timber, which can affect its stability and ability to float. It can also impact the weight and load capacity of the timber, as well as its durability and susceptibility to rot or decay.

3. What factors can affect the amount of wooden timber submerged in water?

Several factors can affect the amount of wooden timber submerged in water. These include the density and weight of the timber, the shape and size of the timber, the water density and buoyancy, and any external forces or pressures acting on the timber, such as waves or currents.

4. Can the amount of wooden timber submerged in water change over time?

Yes, the amount of wooden timber submerged in water can change over time. Factors such as water level, weather conditions, and the condition of the timber itself can all impact the amount of timber submerged. For example, if the timber absorbs water and becomes heavier, it may sink deeper into the water.

5. How does the amount of wooden timber submerged in water affect its strength?

The amount of wooden timber submerged in water can greatly affect its strength. If a large portion of the timber is submerged, it can cause the timber to become waterlogged and weaken its structural integrity. This can make it more prone to bending, breaking, or collapsing under heavy loads.