How much physics does EE contain?

• Programs
  • Thread starter CrunchBerries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying physics and their confusion about the amount of physics courses in electrical engineering programs. They share their background in electronic engineering and building circuits, and express a desire to bring physics into their work. The expert summarizer notes that the amount of physics required in electrical engineering varies depending on the specialization, and suggests looking into areas like semiconductors, electromagnetics, and optics for a stronger focus on physics. They also mention the option of pursuing an engineering physics program. However, they emphasize the ultimate goal of design in electrical engineering and the possibility of learning high-level physics on one's own.
CrunchBerries
Sorry in advance for the long winded question;

I really want to take physics. I love the theories and different ways to approach things, and the way it opens your eyes in a way that you can never see the world the same again. I am sure many people here understand this passion and interest. And I am sure some opted for Engineering instead as way to still have some physics, but learn more of a "trade" application which would result in better chances for employment.

I have already been in the industry as an Electronic Technician for 13 years. I have been building and desining my own guitar amplifier circuits from the ground up for a decade, and I have always been tinkering and building anything I need at my house, like furniture, home theater speaker enclosures, designing my own speaker enclosures of different difficulty levels such as "tapped horn" designs.

To me it would make sense to enter into EE and bring something new to the table. However, looking at different programs from different universities, and I don't see nearly as many physics subjects as I thought would be present.. like quantum mechanics, special relativity, general relativity, optics, electromagnetism, vibrations and waves etc.. Maybe I am just not understanding some of the course titles in the EE programs, which encompass many of these subjects but not necessarily in the same way?

I was looking into Engineering Physics, but then apparently there is this "brace yourself" amount of work above and beyond the standard EE program. I guess I would like to know if EE does have a substantial portion of physics, but maybe shift the depth toward a few different concepts?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It can range from "a sufficient amount" to "none at all."

EE is an extraordinarily large discipline. Some areas require absolutely no physics. Some only require a little background knowledge to do the design. Some require as much physics as a physics undergraduate would have to know (and possibly some grad-level courses).

I don't imagine any electrical engineer will need to know general relativity in the near future. Special relativity would be useful for a few specialized purposes, like the Doppler effect, but not to a huge extent.

Specializations like communications, digital circuit design, signal processing, etc. probably involve much less physics than you'd expect. If you'd want physics, you'd want to look into areas like semiconductor device physics, electromagnetics/antennas/RF engineering, or optics.

I'm a junior undergrad EE major, so I can speak regarding undergraduate coursework. I took two calculus-based General physics classes. That was the extent of my physics education from the physics department (though I did take extra for fun, but I'm merely talking about required courses). In EE, I've taken a course in electromagnetics and a course in semiconductor devices, both of which can be physics heavy.

From what I see, a lot of the really physics-heavy stuff happens at the graduate level if you wanted to go with that route. I've seen departments that do tons of work on electromagnetics (computational, antennas, theory, etc.), optics (you may want to look up quantum optics) and photonics, and semiconductor device physics.

Thank you very much for your input, you answered my question very efficiently. I think from here I should probably speak with people from those departments and see what they have to say about it.

Cheers

Of course I must stress that the ultimate goal is design, so there's a fundamental difference between the types of problems many physicists work on and the type electrical engineers work on. There probably isn't as big of a difference in industry, though.

Nothing's stopping an electrical engineer from learning high-level physics either, though.

Look into engineering physics programs. Should still be accredited as an engineering profession, but typically have more room for upper division physics classes.

Make sure you check the school of choice program, sometimes there are lots of variance in this major.

1. What is the relationship between physics and electrical engineering (EE)?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. EE is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Therefore, physics is the foundation of EE and is essential to understand its principles and applications.

2. How much physics is required to study EE?

EE requires a strong foundation in physics, particularly in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and thermodynamics. It is essential to have a good understanding of these fundamental concepts to be successful in studying and applying EE principles and theories.

3. Can someone study EE without a strong background in physics?

While a strong background in physics is highly recommended for studying EE, it is not impossible to study EE without it. However, it may require more effort and dedication to understand the fundamental principles and apply them effectively.

4. How does physics play a role in designing and building electrical systems?

In EE, understanding the principles of physics is crucial in designing and building electrical systems. For example, electricity and magnetism principles are essential in designing circuits and devices such as motors and generators. Thermodynamics principles are also important in designing cooling systems for electronic devices.

5. How can knowledge of physics help in solving problems in EE?

Physics provides a set of tools, theories, and principles that can be applied to solve problems in EE. It helps in understanding the behavior of electrical systems, predicting their performance, and finding solutions to technical issues. Without a solid understanding of physics, it can be challenging to identify and solve problems effectively in EE.