How much physics & EE for computational neuroscience?

In summary, the conversation discusses the level of physics and EE knowledge required for computational neuroscience. While circuit analysis and concepts like Fick's law of diffusion are used in modeling single neurons, it is unclear how much background in physics and EE is necessary to understand the literature. The conversation also touches upon the recommended textbooks for these subjects and the potential use of dynamic clamping in combining computational and experimental approaches. It is mentioned that neurophysiology utilizes EE and physics, and a neurophysiologist with an EE background may have different perspectives.
DreCate
So there seems to have been many posts about how much math is required for computational neuroscience, but I don't know if anyone has raised the question of how much physics&EE is required for this field. It seems like circuit analysis is used quite extensively in modeling single neurons, but how much EE is actually needed to understand the literature? As for physics, I've seen something like Fick's law of diffusion appearing in some comp neuro and cellular physiology textbooks, but I don't know overall how much physics background is needed. So is a one-year college-level introductory physics adequate? Or is it necessary to study physics at a more advanced level (like a semester of electrodynamics and thermal/statistical physics)? Also, what textbooks would you recommend for physics&EE for comp neuro? Any advice is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say much as I'm still an undergrad as well, but I did take a Neurophysiology class last semester. I don't know about computational neuroscience but neurophysiology certainly makes use of plenty of EE and physics. The professor teaching the class was a neurophysiologist with an EE background so it may differ. The neuro concepts are pretty basic: diffusion relations, concentration gradients, etc but things have to be measured somehow. Current clamping and voltage clamping can be done in different ways with different circuit configurations that can get very complex. Also, look into dynamic clamping if you haven't heard of that. It is a fascinating subject at the moment and a great way to combine the computational side of things with the experimental. The idea is to hook the cell up to a computer and have the computer "insert" (virtually) ion channels into the cell by injecting the appropriate currents in real time. You can even run a simulation model through the cell.

1. What is the relationship between physics and computational neuroscience?

Physics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the natural world. With the rise of computational neuroscience, these principles have been applied to understand the complex workings of the brain and its functions. Computational neuroscience relies heavily on physics to model and simulate neural systems, analyze data, and make predictions about brain behavior.

2. How much physics knowledge is required for computational neuroscience?

The amount of physics knowledge required for computational neuroscience can vary depending on the specific research or project. However, a strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics is usually necessary. Additionally, knowledge of statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and information theory can also be beneficial.

3. What role does electrical engineering play in computational neuroscience?

Electrical engineering has played a crucial role in advancing computational neuroscience. This field provides the tools and techniques for measuring and manipulating electrical signals in the brain, such as EEG and fMRI. It also involves the development of computational models and algorithms for analyzing large sets of neural data.

4. Can someone without a background in physics and EE pursue a career in computational neuroscience?

While a background in physics and EE can be advantageous, it is not necessarily a requirement for pursuing a career in computational neuroscience. Many researchers in this field come from diverse backgrounds such as biology, psychology, computer science, and mathematics. However, it is important to have a strong interest in physics and EE concepts and be willing to learn and apply them to computational neuroscience.

5. What are some examples of how physics and EE are used in computational neuroscience?

Some examples of how physics and EE are used in computational neuroscience include the development of mathematical models to simulate and understand brain processes, the use of signal processing techniques to analyze neural data, and the application of neural network algorithms for solving complex computational problems. Additionally, physics principles are also used to design and improve brain computer interface technologies, such as prosthetics and brain-controlled devices.