How Much Power Should an LED Emit to Be Visible from 5 Meters?

In summary, the conversation discusses how many photons are needed for the human eye to detect an LED placed 5 meters away. The solution involves using the equation E=hc/lambda and taking into account the energy needed to feel something, the diameter of the eye, and the solid angle of the LED's radiation.
prehisto

Homework Statement

In ideal conditions human eye can feel something if 100 photons with wavelengh of 5500A fall directly tu human eye in one seconds time.LED(lambda=5500A) is placed 5m away from human eye.

Homework Equations

Calculate the power of LED to achieve that the human eye can see it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your difficulty?

I even don't know where to start here.
Some kind of idea would be helpfull.

Each photon carries energy. How much?

I know that much
E=hv and v=c/lambda so E=hc/lambda

So you should be able to solve the problem.

You also need to know how many photons miss or hit the pupil. Perhaps they all bit because of lenses. Or not.

Ok I know the energy which is needed to feel something.
I assume that all hit the pupil and that diameter of an eye is d=15mm.
So i can calculate the solid angle.

But still how can I calculate power of LED ?

I think you can assume that the LED radiates in all directions. You have a particular solid angle where particular energy must be radiated to be be detectable. What else do you need?

OK,thanks.
I think i got it.

Related to How Much Power Should an LED Emit to Be Visible from 5 Meters?

1. How does LED light affect the human eye?

The human eye is sensitive to different wavelengths of light, and LED lights emit a high amount of blue light. Prolonged exposure to blue light can cause eye strain, headaches, and disrupted sleep patterns. However, LED lights do not emit harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, making them safer for the eyes compared to other types of lighting.

2. Can LED lights damage the retina?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that LED lights can cause permanent damage to the retina. However, as mentioned before, prolonged exposure to blue light may cause eye strain and discomfort. It is important to take breaks and limit screen time to reduce the risk of eye strain.

3. Are LED lights safe for children's eyes?

LED lights are generally safe for children's eyes, but it is still important to limit their exposure to blue light. Children's eyes are still developing and may be more sensitive to the effects of blue light. It is recommended to limit screen time and use warm or cool LED lights instead of blue light to reduce eye strain.

4. How do LED lights affect our circadian rhythm?

Our circadian rhythm, also known as our sleep-wake cycle, is influenced by the amount and type of light we are exposed to. LED lights emit a high amount of blue light, which can suppress the production of melatonin, the hormone that helps us sleep. Exposure to LED lights close to bedtime can disrupt our sleep patterns, making it harder to fall asleep.

5. Are there any benefits of using LED lights for the eyes?

LED lights have several benefits for the eyes. They are energy-efficient, have a longer lifespan compared to traditional lighting, and do not emit harmful UV rays. LED lights can also provide better color rendering, making it easier for the eyes to distinguish between different colors. Additionally, LED lights can be dimmed and adjusted, reducing glare and eye strain.