How much resistance for a heating resistive element?

In summary, fog37 is wondering about the most suitable value of resistance for a resistive heating element to generate the desired amount of heat. This is because, in most devices, the amount of heat generated is dependent on the resistance and the current passing through the heating element, which is controlled by the constant voltage source. If the resistance is too small, too much current will flow and the heat generated will be too much, while if the resistance is too large, the current and heat generated will be too small. It is important to find the right balance in order to achieve the desired amount of heat.
fog37
Hello Forum,

Most devices that are supposed to generate heat via resistance are connected to a constant voltage source. That means that the amount of power dissipated as heat is given by

P= V^2/R = I^2*R

This implies that the smaller the resistance the larger the current through the heating resistive element and the more heat is generated.

but conducting wires have very small resistance. However they don't dissipate much power because the current is not controlled by them but by the constant voltage source and the resistive heating element with its resistance R...

So, given a certain potential difference V, what is the ideal amount of resistance that a resistive heating element needs to have? If R is too small then too much current will flow: that may keep the dissipated power P small. If R is too large then the current I is too small (I^2) and the dissipated power is small again. There seem to be a suitable value of R to obtain the right and desired amount of heat generation...

In general, I would think R needs to be "small", whatever that may mean, to generate a sufficiently large current (I^2) and dissipate enough heat. So resistive heating elements (toasters, stoves, etc.) are small resistance devices...

thanks,
fog37

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a very wise man on this forum who says: A question well stated is half answered.
-
I would say you have answered your own question. The size of the heating element (nichrome, etc.) is sized to produce the desired heat at a specified voltage.

Ok :)

good enough. Thank you.

fog37

1. What is a heating resistive element?

A heating resistive element is a component commonly used in heaters and other heating devices. It is typically made of a conductive material, such as a metal alloy, and has a high resistance to electrical current, which causes it to heat up when current is passed through it.

2. How does resistance affect the heating of a resistive element?

The resistance of a heating resistive element directly affects the amount of heat it produces. The higher the resistance, the more heat will be generated when current is passed through it. This is because the resistance causes energy (in the form of heat) to be dissipated as the current flows through the element.

3. What factors determine the appropriate resistance for a heating resistive element?

The appropriate resistance for a heating resistive element depends on several factors, including the desired temperature, the amount of current available, and the physical properties of the element (such as its length and thickness). Generally, a higher resistance element will produce more heat, but it may also require a higher voltage or current to achieve the desired temperature.

4. How do you calculate the resistance needed for a heating resistive element?

The resistance needed for a heating resistive element can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. Additionally, the specific resistance of the material used to make the element can also be a factor in determining its overall resistance.

5. Can the resistance of a heating resistive element be changed?

Yes, the resistance of a heating resistive element can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its length, thickness, or material composition. Additionally, the amount of current flowing through the element can also affect its resistance, as higher currents can cause the element to heat up and potentially increase its resistance.