How much sound in an airplane crash?

In summary, the conversation discusses the loudness of an airplane crashing into the ground and the percentage of kinetic energy that is converted into sound energy. It is mentioned that the sound energy is likely in the 1% range, similar to a car crash, and that the total area of the sound wave should be considered as 2πr^2 instead of 4πr^2 due to the ground blocking half of the wave. The conversation also explores the idea that a portion of the sound energy is dissipated into the soil and that most of the energy is converted into heat and vibrations.
Tio Barnabe
I'm engaged in a discussion with a friend about how loud is the sound of an airplane crashing into the ground. I'm considering that the sound wave produced is roughly spheric. I need to know how much (percent) of the kinetic energy the airplane has before hitting the ground is converted into sound energy? Is it safe to consider ~ 10% for a commercial airplane?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I'm engaged in a discussion with a friend about how loud is the sound of a airplane crashing into the ground. I'm considering that the sound wave produced is roughly spheric. I need to know how many (percent) of the kinetic energy the airplane has before hitting the ground is converted into sound energy? Is it safe to consider ~ 10% for a commercial airplane?
It's probably similar to the % of the KE when a NASCAR race car crashes head on into a wall. The sound energy seems like it would be more like in the 1% range. (Not counting the explosion that often accompanies a plane crash soon after impact).

Likes russ_watters and Tio Barnabe
Now the total area of the sound wave would not be ##4 \pi r^2## because the ground blocks off half the wave. So should I consider the area as being ##2 \pi r^2##?

Tio Barnabe said:
Now the total area of the sound wave would not be ##4 \pi r^2## because the ground blocks off half the wave. So should I consider the area as being ##2 \pi r^2##?
That seems reasonable. You might be able to search for car crash videos with sound to get an idea of the sound intensity at different distances. The sound might be enhanced in the videos, though, so you would have to exercise your judgement on how accurate the sound levels were. Have you calculated the typical KE of a car at freeway speeds? How does that compare to the energy in that expanding sound wave? It would seem like the KE of the car moving so quickly would be huge to the sound energy emitted by the crash. And remember that the car/plane KE goes up as the speed squared...

Good idea. I will look for such videos. But, on the other hand, the part of the wave that doesn't goes out, is dissipated on the soil. So it seems just equivalent to consider that less percent of the total energy of the plane goes to produce the sound wave -as opposed to the case where there's no soil- and continue considering ##4 \pi r^2## as the area. What do you think of this?

Tio Barnabe said:
Good idea. I will look for such videos. But, on the other hand, the part of the wave that doesn't goes out, is dissipated on the soil. So it seems just equivalent to consider that less percent of the total energy of the plane goes to produce the sound wave -as opposed to the case where there's no soil- and continue considering ##4 \pi r^2## as the area. What do you think of this?
I don't know, TBH. But it seems like some of the downward-directed sound energy of the crash would reflect and become part of the rising sound hemisphere...

Likes Tio Barnabe
Vibrations in soil and fuselage couple only poorly to the air. Consider, for instance, a tuning fork. It couples so poorly to the air that it continues vibrating for multiple seconds before dissipating significant energy. By contrast, the vibration of a crashing car or aircraft damps out almost immediately. It does not ring.

From this, I would conclude that most of the energy is damped into heat and vibrations in the soil.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Perhaps look for reports of aircraft crashes being heard X miles away?

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. What is the decibel level of sound during an airplane crash?

The decibel level of sound during an airplane crash can vary depending on several factors such as the type of aircraft, speed, and location of the crash. However, it is estimated to range from 140-160 decibels, which is equivalent to the sound of a jet engine or a gunshot.

2. How far can the sound of an airplane crash travel?

The sound of an airplane crash can travel a considerable distance depending on the surrounding environment. In an open area, the sound can travel up to 5 miles, while in a densely populated urban area, it may only travel a few blocks.

3. Can the sound of an airplane crash cause permanent hearing damage?

Yes, the sound of an airplane crash can cause permanent hearing damage if a person is exposed to it for a prolonged period. The loudness and intensity of the sound can damage the delicate structures in the inner ear, leading to permanent hearing loss.

4. How does the sound of an airplane crash compare to other loud noises?

The sound of an airplane crash is significantly louder than most everyday noises. For comparison, a normal conversation is around 60 decibels, a rock concert is about 110 decibels, and a jackhammer is around 130 decibels. The sound of an airplane crash is much closer to the noise level of a rocket launch or an explosion.

5. Can soundproofing materials reduce the noise level during an airplane crash?

Yes, soundproofing materials can help reduce the noise level during an airplane crash. These materials can absorb and block sound waves, reducing the intensity of the sound. However, it is essential to note that no material can completely eliminate the sound of an airplane crash.