How to calculate the amplification of a cone

In summary, sound traveling away from its source will decrease in volume by 50% every time the cross-sectional area doubles. This is similar to how wave rings in a lake become larger as they travel away from a rock. This phenomenon can also be observed in reverse, as demonstrated by a cardboard cone measuring 13" square on the big end and 1" square on the small end, and 24" long. When used to listen to TV, the volume can be turned down to a level that is only audible to the person holding the cone 15 ft away. The cone also allows for the detection of sounds that are normally inaudible, such as birds in trees or people talking across the street. While there is no formula
gary350
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate the amplification of a cone
Some where I read as sound travel away from the source its volume become 50% less every time cross sectional area doubles. Like throwing a rock into the lake wave rings get larger and larger diameter as the wave travel away from the rock. It seems to me same thing should happen in reverse.

I built a cardboard cone it measures 13" square on the big end and 1" square on the small end. Cone is 24" long. When I use cone to listen to TV I can turn volume down so low no one can hear it but me with the cone 15 ft away.

I can hear birds in the trees that I can not hear any other way.

I can year people talking across the street very easy.

I can hear things very far away that can not be heard without the cone.

13x13 = 169 sq in at the big end. 1x1 = 1 sq in at small end. I'm not sure if that is called a sound increase of 169 times or not?

During WWI and early part of WWII they used cones to listen for income airplanes 10 miles away before radar was invented.

Is there a formula to calculate how much louder sound gets using a certain size cone?

I don't think a cone is a true amplifier but it does make sound louder.

100_7060.JPG

82874283_874609329705011_1904182860307234816_o.jpg

102405579_874607973038480_8465303518767480832_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I calculate the amplification of a cone?

To calculate the amplification of a cone, you will need to know the cone's height, base radius, and apex angle. The amplification is equal to the height divided by the base radius, multiplied by the tangent of half of the apex angle.

2. What is the formula for calculating the amplification of a cone?

The formula for calculating the amplification of a cone is: amplification = (height / base radius) * tan(apex angle / 2).

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the amplification of any cone?

Yes, the formula for calculating the amplification of a cone is applicable to all cones, regardless of their size or shape. However, make sure to use the correct values for the cone's height, base radius, and apex angle.

4. Is there a specific unit for measuring the amplification of a cone?

No, the amplification of a cone is a unitless quantity. It is simply a ratio of the cone's height to its base radius, multiplied by the tangent of half of the apex angle.

5. How is the amplification of a cone related to its shape?

The amplification of a cone is directly related to its shape. It is a measure of how much the cone's height increases in relation to its base radius. A cone with a larger amplification will have a steeper slope and a narrower base, while a cone with a smaller amplification will have a gentler slope and a wider base.