How much torque would be on the motor?

In summary, the motor recommended by the vendor may not be suitable for your application because it does not have the required torque and speed.
Temeraire
I would like to make a project where a dc motor will help the movement of a human arm. The motor will be at the elbow, the stationary part will be attached to the upper arm, and the moving part will be attached to the forearm, so the motor will help to rotate the forearm at the elbow.

I think the biggest torque will be when the forearm is parallel with the ground, so my calculation is something like this:
My forearm+hand+a little weight(aluminium structure, etc): m=3kg.
Gravitational acceleration: g=9.81 m/s2
The arm is a distributed load, for now let's say it is evenly distributed and the center mass is at halfway of the forearm: from the elbow it's s=20 cm=0.2m

So the Torque would be: T=3*9.81*0.2=5.89Nm.
Or going with the kg.cm: 60kg.cm.

I got a recommendation to choose a motor, for example this: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Seeed%20Technology/108990007_Web.pdf
But it says that the load torque is 0.55 kg.cm, so if my calculations are correct i would need hundred times more torque, which seems odd to me.

do you have any idea what i am missing, or calculating wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to use that motor you'll need a gearbox, the motor's torque without the gearbox is just a piece of the puzzle. The alternative would be to use a direct-drive DC brushless motor with the rated torque but that might require higher-cost components.

Likes Temeraire
Mech_Engineer said:
If you want to use that motor you'll need a gearbox, the motor's torque without the gearbox is just a piece of the puzzle. The alternative would be to use a direct-drive DC brushless motor with the rated torque but that might require higher-cost components.
The motor itself has a built in gearbox with a worm gear (i will attach a picture). Could it be that they mean the dc motor's shaft's load torque by the 0.55 kg.cm without the gearbox? So with the gearbox it becomes much larger?

Attachments

• gearbox.jpg
    gearbox.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 288
Temeraire said:
I think the biggest torque will be when the forearm is parallel with the ground, so my calculation is something like this:
My forearm+hand+a little weight(aluminium structure, etc): m=3kg.
Gravitational acceleration: g=9.81 m/s2
The arm is a distributed load, for now let's say it is evenly distributed and the center mass is at halfway of the forearm: from the elbow it's s=20 cm=0.2m

So the Torque would be: T=3*9.81*0.2=5.89Nm.
Or going with the kg.cm: 60kg.cm.
Do you want this arm to do anything besides moving? Lift an object, for example...?

russ_watters said:
Do you want this arm to do anything besides moving? Lift an object, for example...?
I would be more than happy if in the first round i could make it work with just the arm (without any external object to lift).

The motor you've shown is way undersized for the requirements you've stated, I recommend doing some more searching to find a motor/gearbox combination which provides the torque specification of 6 N-m.

You'll also need to consider expected power output and speed- you may be able to find a small motor with large reduction gearbox that meets the torque requirements, but would take minutes to move 90 degrees. You're going to need a motor with a combination of enough torque and reasonable speed/power output for your application.

Likes Temeraire

1. How is torque defined?

Torque is defined as the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. What factors affect the amount of torque on a motor?

The amount of torque on a motor is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. The type and design of the motor also play a role in determining the amount of torque.

3. How can I calculate the torque on a motor?

To calculate the torque on a motor, you will need to know the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. You can then use the formula: torque = force * distance * sin(angle).

4. What is the maximum torque a motor can handle?

The maximum torque a motor can handle depends on its design and specifications. It is important to refer to the motor's datasheet or manual to determine its maximum torque capacity. Exceeding the maximum torque can lead to damage or failure of the motor.

5. How does torque affect the speed of a motor?

Torque and speed have an inverse relationship in a motor. As torque increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the torque-speed curve and can vary depending on the type and design of the motor.