How Much Weight Can My Angle Bracket Rails Safely Hold?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the weight capacity of their aluminum angle (6063-T52) for use in a makeshift server rack. They have been unable to find a clear answer and have received a response stating that the angle should be able to hold up to 6 kg based on FEA simulation results. They also inquire about the relationship between material thickness and weight capacity.
k2ace
I'm trying to make some simple rails for a makeshift server rack. I already have some aluminum angle (6063-T52) that has 2" legs and .125" thick. I have been trying to figure out how much weight could be safely held and can't find anything that makes sense. The weight load is fairly evenly distributed but from the from 15" deep. The weight will only sit on the outer 1.5"on the angle (the image incorrectly shows 3/4"). The angle is mounted at two points 17.25 inches between against 0.5" vertical rails. Is there some simple way to determine how much weight this might safely hold?

Attachments

• bracket.png
    bracket.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 245
Engineering news on Phys.org
Classical beam bending formulas assume that load is distributed over the whole width of cross-section so they won’t work here. But I solved this for you using FEA. Simulation results indicate that the angles should be able to hold up to about 6 kg.

FEAnalyst said:
Classical beam bending formulas assume that load is distributed over the whole width of cross-section so they won’t work here. But I solved this for you using FEA. Simulation results indicate that the angles should be able to hold up to about 6 kg.
Thanks, I really appreciate the response. Is this sort of thing typically liner in respect to material thickness, if the thickness is increased by X percent would it increase the weight capacity by at least X percent?

In case of twice as thick angle the stresses are about 4 times lower.

What is an angle bracket safe max load?

An angle bracket safe max load refers to the maximum weight or load that can be safely supported by an angle bracket without risking structural failure or damage.

How is the safe max load of an angle bracket determined?

The safe max load of an angle bracket is determined by several factors, including the material and thickness of the bracket, the type of installation, and the weight distribution of the load.

What happens if the safe max load of an angle bracket is exceeded?

If the safe max load of an angle bracket is exceeded, it can lead to bending, warping, or even breaking of the bracket. This can compromise the stability and safety of the structure it is supporting.

Can the safe max load of an angle bracket be increased?

No, the safe max load of an angle bracket cannot be increased. It is important to always adhere to the manufacturer's recommended load limit to ensure the structural integrity of the bracket.

How can I determine the safe max load of an angle bracket?

The safe max load of an angle bracket can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications or by consulting a structural engineer for a more precise calculation based on the specific installation and load requirements.