How Much Work Does a Child Do Pulling a Toboggan Up a Hill?

In summary, the question asks for the amount of work a child must do to pull a toboggan up a hill at a constant velocity. Using the equation W = F * D, we can calculate the work done by the child to be 2,665.82513 joules, which is incorrect. Another method, setting W = Eg2 - Eg1, yields the correct answer of 1,284.192 joules. This is because the total work done by all forces, including conservative and non-conservative, is equal to the change in kinetic and potential energy.

Homework Statement

A 25.6 kg child pulls a 4.81kg toboggan up a hill inclined at 25.7 degrees to the horizontal. The vertical height of the hill is 27.3 m. Friction is negligible.

Determine the amount of work the child must do on the toboggan to pull it at a constant velocity up the hill.

Homework Equations

W = F * D

The Attempt at a Solution

ag = gravity component of acceleration
ap = acceleration applied

ag - ap = 0
ag = 9.81 m/s^2 * cos(25.7 deg) = 8.8 m/s/s

F = 8.8 m/s/s * 4.81 kg = 42.5 N

W = F * D = 42.5 N * (27.3 m / (sin(25.8 deg)) = 2 665.82513 joules

This answer is completely wrong. The book got 1.3 * 10 ^ 3 J.

Not sure what I can do, I thought about setting W = Eg2 - Eg1. But I remember my teacher said that only works for kinetic energy (honestly, sometimes I think she doesn't know what she's talking about. It should work for gravitational energy too)

But if I do that,

W = 4.8 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 27.3 m I get the right answer which is 1 284.192 joules

This is confusing for me. Shouldn't I have gotten the same answers for both questions? How come my answers are different? Does it have something to do with vectors? Does work only count in one direction in this case (vertical), shouldn't the work done be how I calculated it in step 1?

More importantly, can I set W = change in energy, even if that energy is NOT kinetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both methods would work. Your math is off in the first one, though: It should be sin(25.7°), not cos(25.7°). You're looking for the parallel part of ag, not the perpindicular part.

More importantly, can I set W = change in energy, even if that energy is NOT kinetic?
you may have misunderstood your teacher. The TOTAL work done by ALL forces is equal to the change in kinetic energy. This includes work done by conservative forces (like gravity) and non conservative forces (like applied forces). The work done by only nonconservative forces is equal to the change in kinetic plus potential energy.

1. How is work defined in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

2. What is the unit of work in physics?

The unit of work in physics is the joule (J). One joule is equal to one newton-meter (N*m).

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the displacement of the object, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

4. How does work relate to energy in physics?

In physics, work is directly related to energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or the conversion of one form of energy to another. This means that when work is done on an object, it gains or loses energy.

5. Can work be negative in physics?

Yes, work can be negative in physics. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This means that the object loses energy, or work is done on the object by an external force.