How much work to push a spring up/down a distance of y?

In summary: Plugging this into the formula, you will get the correct answer.In summary, when finding the work done to push a relaxed spring of length L and force constant k attached to two walls separated by a distance L, the formula W = -1/2k(b2-a2) should be used where b represents the length of the extended spring and a represents the original length. The length of the extended spring is found using Pythagoras's theorem and taking into account that the spring is stretched on both ends.
Jim01

Homework Statement

The ends of a relaxed spring of length L and force constant k are attached to two points on two walls separated by a distance L. How much work must you do to push the midpoint of the spring up or down a distance of y?

Homework Equations

W = -1/2k(b2-a2) (after integration), moving from y=a to y=b

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost on this. The first thing that I notice is that when you push down on the midpoint of the spring, you form two right triangles. This leads me to believe that y will go from a value of zero to the value of Fy, where F is the downward force on the spring. So I made a force diagram and came up with summation of forces.

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = 0

wx = 0
Fx = L/2

Fx= 0

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy = 0

wy = -mg
N = mg
Fy = -Fcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

wy-N-Fy = 0

Fy = wy-N = -2mg

I attempted to use the Fy value as b in the W = -1/2k(b2-a2) formula but this led me to a wrong answer. I then tried to put Fx into the equation, thinking that maybe I needed to get Fy from the net forces. This led me nowhere either (I was grasping at straws here).

I am obviously going about this the wrong way. Since it involves the work on a spring, I know that I must use the W = -1/2k(b2-a2) formula. I just have no idea how to get the value of b. What concept(s) am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no need to resolve forces. The crux of the question lies within this: by what length has the spring been stretched? It then results in a clear application of that formula you are brandishing around.
Hint: It involves the right angle triangles you've been talking about and Pythagora's theorem of course

Fightfish said:
There is no need to resolve forces. The crux of the question lies within this: by what length has the spring been stretched? It then results in a clear application of that formula you are brandishing around.
Hint: It involves the right angle triangles you've been talking about and Pythagora's theorem of course

I know I'm thickheaded because I'm still not seeing it. If I set the opposite to y, the adjacent to L/2, this gives me a hypotenus of the square root of y2+(L/2)2.

So at rest, the spring length is L. So a=L and b= the square root of y2+(L/2)2. However when I plug this into my formula, it still doesn't work. I end up with

W = -1/2 k [(square root of y2+(L/2)2 - L2]

= - 1/2k [y2+(L/2)2 - L2]

= - 1/2k [y2 - 3/4 L2]

= k(-1/2y2 + 3/8 L2)

Last edited:
This is because you forgot to consider the fact that the spring is stretched on both ends. So the length of the extended spring is [tex]2\sqrt{y^2 + (\frac{L}{2})^2}[/tex].

Related to How much work to push a spring up/down a distance of y?

1. How does the weight of the spring affect the amount of work needed to push it up/down a distance of y?

The weight of the spring does not affect the amount of work needed to push it up/down a distance of y. The amount of work depends on the force applied and the distance traveled, not the weight of the object.

2. Is the work required to push the spring up the same as the work required to push it down?

Yes, the work required to push the spring up is the same as the work required to push it down. This is because work is a measure of the energy transferred, and the energy required to move the spring up is the same as the energy released when pushing it down.

3. How does the material of the spring affect the amount of work needed?

The material of the spring does not have a significant effect on the amount of work needed. The work is primarily dependent on the force applied and the distance traveled, not the material of the spring.

4. Can the work needed to push the spring up be calculated without knowing the distance traveled?

No, the work cannot be calculated without knowing the distance traveled. Work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance traveled in the direction of the force.

5. Is the work needed to push the spring up the same at all points of the distance traveled?

Yes, the work needed to push the spring up is the same at all points of the distance traveled. This is because the force applied and the distance traveled are constant, so the work remains constant throughout the entire distance.