How Often Has Theoretical Physics Predicted Major Discoveries?

In summary: Some of the six quarks were predicted before observed. I think there are other elementary particles predicted before observed. In summary, mathematics is essential to physics in providing ad hoc explanations and helping to communicate theories to others.
rigetFrog
We know the expression "Tail wags the dog" for when what's supposed to be in charge and driving the direction is not doing its job properly.

How often has theory predicted something ground breaking in physics? Here are a few cases

1) Einstein -> relativity verified by gravitational lensing

2) Dirac -> anti particles

3) Josephson -> tunneling through a resistor (aka josephson junction)

4) Higgs -> those bosons.

What else has there been?

And even in the cases of 1 and 2, was it math leading their thoughts, or was mathematics just a way to communicate it to others? (I read that 3 was all math derived, but this seems like the exception) In physics derivations, we keep Taylor expanding anything we can't solve. But this seems so ad hoc.

So what is mathematics role in physics? I mean, It's nice to know that the laws of physics can be approximated by mathematics. But if it's not driving the science, but rather providing ad hoc explanations, we should be informing young prospective physicists of that so they don't get disillusioned.

Physics news on Phys.org
rigetFrog said:
What else has there been?
E.g. Maxwell -> Hertz (electromagnetic waves). You could also have a look at this thread, where I dug a little bit into the history of science with the help of other PF members.

EDIT: By the way, if I would describe the overall development of science, I'd say it's something like

1. Somebody observes something and/or somebody states a hypothesis
2. Somebody tries to build a theory
3. Experiments are performed/observations are done which confirms or refutes the hypothesis/theory
4. If refuted, scrap the theory, restart and goto 1
5. If confirmed, see if the theory can be refined, then start using the theory
6. Goto 1

By the way, I'd say that the development of quantum mechanics was largely driven by experiments (and not so much ordered* by anyone :smile:).

Wikipedia said:
The eventual recognition of the "mu meson" muon as a simple "heavy electron" with no role at all in the nuclear interaction, seemed so incongruous and surprising at the time, that Nobel laureate I. I. Rabi famously quipped, "Who ordered that?"
(link)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
rigetFrog said:
How often has theory predicted something ground breaking in physics? Here are a few cases

Szilard: Nuclear chain reaction.

Einstein: Bose-Einstein condensate.

QED: Bell's theorem experiment

Abrikosov: Type II superconductors

Not sure: Type 1.5 superconductors

Feynman: Quantum computer

Some of the six quarks were predicted before observed. I think there are other elementary particles predicted before observed.

Hornbein said:
Some of the six quarks were predicted before observed. I think there are other elementary particles predicted before observed.

The neutrino... A prediction as spectacular (and with fewer wrong turns) as the prediction of the positron.

Nugatory said:
The neutrino...
Nugatory beat me to it...:frown::smile:

rigetFrog said:
We know the expression "Tail wags the dog" for when what's supposed to be in charge and driving the direction is not doing its job properly.

1) Einstein -> relativity verified by gravitational lensing
Just so we're clear, Relativity came from experimental results that didn't fit existing theory. It isn't like it was produced from scratch with no prior data. No theory ever is.
And even in the cases of 1 and 2, was it math leading their thoughts, or was mathematics just a way to communicate it to others? (I read that 3 was all math derived, but this seems like the exception) In physics derivations, we keep Taylor expanding anything we can't solve. But this seems so ad hoc.

So what is mathematics role in physics? I mean, It's nice to know that the laws of physics can be approximated by mathematics. But if it's not driving the science, but rather providing ad hoc explanations, we should be informing young prospective physicists of that so they don't get disillusioned.
Math is the language of physics. The laws of physics aren't approximated (or ad hoc) by math, the math is the "law".

Hornbein said:
Some of the six quarks were predicted before observed.

Lol... the quarks more or less did away with the "zoo"...

In the history of particle physics, the situation was particularly confusing in the late 1960s. Before the discovery of quarks, hundreds of strongly interacting particles (hadrons) were known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_zoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_subatomic_physics

The situation is still somewhat confusing, IMO... :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

russ_watters said:
Just so we're clear, Relativity came from experimental results that didn't fit existing theory. It isn't like it was produced from scratch with no prior data. No theory ever is.

General relativity was not born out of experiment. It was only after coming up with the theory that Einstein started pitting it against known anomalies in Newtonian gravity, as well as against novel predictions such as gravitational lensing as mentioned by the OP.

That Einstein engendered general relativity through purely theoretical considerations is one of the reasons general relativity is often considered one of the greatest achievements of the human mind.

I think it is EXPERIMENTATION that wags the dog. The theorists just take the next logical or illogical leap in view of contemporary experiments. All those that are scientifically minded do this to some extent. The experimentalist are the real movers, but rarely get the credit.

WannabeNewton said:
General relativity was not born out of experiment. It was only after coming up with the theory that Einstein started pitting it against known anomalies in Newtonian gravity, as well as against novel predictions such as gravitational lensing as mentioned by the OP.
According to the wiki (based on the timeline) Einstein was working on the perihelion precession problem before he published the theory. So he clearly knew of Newtonian gravity's flaws when developing the theory (it would have been inconceivable for him not to have known),

Nugatory said:
The neutrino... A prediction as spectacular (and with fewer wrong turns) as the prediction of the positron.

Yes, but it was an experiment that inspired that conjecture.

russ_watters said:
According to the wiki (based on the timeline) Einstein was working on the perihelion precession problem before he published the theory. So he clearly knew of Newtonian gravity's flaws when developing the theory (it would have been inconceivable for him not to have known),

That's true. But you would never get general relativity by trying to fit the math to the data. The main inspiration was to generalize special relativity, and it would have happened even if Mercury didn't exist.

How about the CMBR?

Oooh, ooh! <arm waving up> I got one!

The Chandrasekhar limit.

That one came from the theoretical side of things. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar deserves that namesake. He put up with quite a bit of ridicule over the idea.

collinsmark said:
Oooh, ooh! <arm waving up> I got one!

The Chandrasekhar limit.

That one came from the theoretical side of things. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar deserves that namesake. He put up with quite a bit of ridicule over the idea.

I like the story of how he first floated the idea.

Related to How Often Has Theoretical Physics Predicted Major Discoveries?

1. What is the theory of "wags the physics"?

The theory of "wags the physics" suggests that our understanding of physics is shaped and influenced by our underlying theories and assumptions about the world. This means that our scientific models and explanations are not purely objective, but are influenced by our subjective perspectives and beliefs.

2. How does the theory of "wags the physics" impact scientific research?

The theory of "wags the physics" highlights the importance of critically examining our underlying assumptions and theories in scientific research. It reminds us that our understanding of the world is not fixed, and that new evidence and perspectives can challenge and change our current beliefs.

3. Is the theory of "wags the physics" widely accepted among scientists?

The theory of "wags the physics" is a topic of ongoing debate and discussion among scientists. While some researchers support the idea, others argue that the scientific method and rigorous testing can minimize the influence of subjective beliefs on our understanding of physics.

4. What are the implications of the theory of "wags the physics" for the study of physics?

The theory of "wags the physics" suggests that our understanding of physics is limited by our current theories and assumptions. This means that there may be alternative explanations or perspectives that we have not yet considered, and further research and exploration is needed to deepen our understanding of the physical world.

5. Can the theory of "wags the physics" be applied to other scientific disciplines?

Yes, the theory of "wags the physics" can be applied to other scientific disciplines, such as biology and psychology. It highlights the importance of critically examining our theories and assumptions in all areas of science to prevent them from limiting our understanding and hindering scientific progress.