How old is too old for equipment and other safety issues

In summary, the conversation discusses the age and replacement of tools in a school setting, including a 45-year-old planar machine and the safety policies for using regular glasses in the shop. It is suggested that the age of a tool should be determined by its functionality and safety features, rather than a specific number. The importance of safety features in modern tools is emphasized, as well as the potential dangers of using old, damaged equipment. Lastly, the conversation mentions a previous student causing damage to the planer blade, but no injuries were reported.
Stephenk53
Disclaimer: I forget the names of tools often for some reason so I will often describe the tool rather than say it's name

My shop teacher recently told me one of our machines is 45 years old. If I recall correctly it is the planar (device used to flatten the faces of wood). How long do you think one should use a device until it should be replaced? Although I am unsure of the ages of the other devices I doubt they are as young as 10 years old.

Also what are some safety policies and such he should do?

Lastly is it a bad idea to use regular glasses instead of safety glasses in the shop? He told one of my friends to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephenk53 said:
Disclaimer: I forget the names of tools often for some reason so I will often describe the tool rather than say it's name

My shop teacher recently told me one of our machines is 45 years old. If I recall correctly it is the planar (device used to flatten the faces of wood). How long do you think one should use a device until it should be replaced?
That depends on how much trouble it is giving you, whether the results are good enough, and on safety considerations. The trouble is easy to observe when it is used. If it doesn't work well, it may not make the wood flat enough. The safety considerations require you to know how dangerous the old equipment is and whether buying new equipment would give you additional safety devices that the old one does not have.
Lastly is it a bad idea to use regular glasses instead of safety glasses in the shop? He told one of my friends to do that
In general, this is ABSOLUTELY BAD ADVICE! Especially if his regular glasses are glass. I have scars and once had to have broken glass removed from my eye. Even if his regular glasses are shatter-proof, they often do not cover the sides as well as safety glasses do. Also the frames of regular glasses can break and do a lot of damage. Use safety glasses or goggles.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic
Stephenk53 said:
How long do you think one should use a device until it should be replaced?
As FactChecker said, that depends on lots of things. It is not unusual for woodworking machines to be used for 100 years, but it is also possible for them to become unsafe quickly if they are flawed and have poor maintenance that allows the flaw to get worse.

Some old power tools don't have the safety features that modern ones do. For example many modern power tools are designed to stop rotating quickly when switched off. Older ones can take a long time to coast to a stop.

Likes FactChecker
CWatters said:
Some old power tools don't have the safety features that modern ones do. For example many modern power tools are designed to stop rotating quickly when switched off. Older ones can take a long time to coast to a stop.
This is the most important thing to say. And if you ever get your sleeve caught in the machine, you will quickly realize the importance of this.

@Stephenk53
You must have an idea in your mind of when something should be replaced because it is 'old'. What number would that be?

CWatters said:

Averagesupernova said:
@Stephenk53
You must have an idea in your mind of when something should be replaced because it is 'old'. What number would that be?

Although i have minimal experience I would say it depends upon the device and setting it is used in. Since it is a school and many older devices don't have modern safety features I would say 10 - 20 years as a general rule. However considering they had been left to gather dust for at least 5 years (probably longer) and some of them have needed some repairs, I'd think they would need to be replaced sooner than 20. Plus I don't think they have been cleaned in a long time.

What do you guys think about my estimate as far as tools in a school goes?

By the way the planar is a bit damaged and often causes extrusions on the wood. He did say the blade is damaged from a previous student from last year.

Stephenk53 said:
He did say the blade is damaged from a previous student from last year.
Did the student survive being planed?

Likes phinds and FactChecker
berkeman said:
Did the student survive being planed?
Luckily the student wasn't planed and it was plywood that was. I don't know what exactly happened but there were no injuries.

Planer blades are among the most difficult woodworking tools to keep in top shape and they really NEED to be in top shape to do their job properly.

To get a truly furniture quality board, it needs to be run through a drum sander after planning. You can ALWAYS expect a planer to leave strips.
-
Truth is most planers nowadays are junk. To get one to plane anything more than 4 inches wide is asking a lot. They are just not built solid enough. This is one that I use. Not kidding.
IMG_20180213_164154.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_164154.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164154.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 395
Likes Asymptotic and berkeman

What is considered "too old" for equipment and other safety issues?

The age at which equipment and safety issues become a concern can vary depending on the type of equipment and the specific safety issue. Generally, equipment should be replaced when it shows signs of wear and tear that could compromise its functionality or safety. Safety issues should be addressed as soon as they are identified to prevent potential hazards.

How do I know when equipment is too old and needs to be replaced?

There are a few factors to consider when determining if equipment is too old for use. These include the manufacturer's recommended lifespan, the frequency and intensity of use, and any visible signs of wear and tear. It is important to regularly inspect equipment and replace it if it no longer meets safety standards.

What are the potential risks of using old equipment?

Using old equipment can pose various risks, including malfunctioning or breaking during use, causing injury to the user or others, and not providing adequate protection. Old equipment may also not meet current safety standards and regulations, increasing the risk of accidents or injuries.

How often should equipment be replaced to ensure safety?

The frequency of equipment replacement depends on the type of equipment and its level of use. For high-risk equipment, such as safety gear, it is recommended to replace it every 1-5 years, depending on the manufacturer's guidelines. For other equipment, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain it, replacing it when signs of wear and tear or deterioration are present.

What should I do if I notice a safety issue with equipment?

If a safety issue is identified with equipment, it should be immediately addressed. This may include discontinuing use of the equipment, repairing or replacing it, and reporting the issue to the appropriate authorities. It is essential to prioritize safety and take prompt action to prevent accidents and injuries.