How proportional action is produced in a pneumatic controller

In summary, the Homework Statement is about how proportional action is produced in a pneumatic controller whose output is 0.2 to 1.0 bar. Assume that the controller is direct acting. The tutor notes that force balance and displacement balance are your basic thought tools, and that it is the mechanical analogue to an operational amplifier circuit.
David Deal

Homework Statement

(a) With the aid of a sketch explain how proportional action is produced
in a pneumatic controller whose output is 0.2 to 1.0 bar. Assume that
the controller is direct acting.

(b) Show, mathematically, that the output is dependent on the difference
between the measured and desired values.

(c) With the aid of a well annotated sketch describe the construction and
operation of a P + I + D controller having a pneumatic output.

Homework Equations

none that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I believe I have to produce this as the first part of the question. As my lessons are pretty poor this is all I can gather from the content.
upload_2019-3-8_13-53-0.png

(b) There is nothing that I can see in my notes for this. The tutor is as helpful as the notes also.

(c) I think this is what they are after, but again my lessons don't shed much light on this.
upload_2019-3-8_14-37-55.png

I just need pointed in the right direction and I should be good to be honest.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-8_13-53-0.png
    upload_2019-3-8_13-53-0.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 906
  • upload_2019-3-8_14-37-55.png
    upload_2019-3-8_14-37-55.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 823
Physics news on Phys.org
Try about page 17 here

http://www.instrumentationrepair.com/Documents/Manuals/Bailey/Instruments/P92-1-1.pdf

i'd download and print a copy because it takes some mental gymnastics to wrap your brain around that mechanical marvel.
The Bailey AD is a general purpose analog computer with two balance beams instead of just one as you have drawn,
but the principles of force balance and displacement balance are your basic thought tools.

jim hardy said:
Try about page 17 here

http://www.instrumentationrepair.com/Documents/Manuals/Bailey/Instruments/P92-1-1.pdf

i'd download and print a copy because it takes some mental gymnastics to wrap your brain around that mechanical marvel.
The Bailey AD is a general purpose analog computer with two balance beams instead of just one as you have drawn,
but the principles of force balance and displacement balance are your basic thought tools.

Thats great. Thanks for the information.

Now I have to derive an equation for Po relating to measure and desired pressures for b).
Any pointers?

David Deal said:
Now I have to derive an equation for Po relating to measure and desired pressures for b).
Any pointers?
well as i said force balance and displacement balance are your thought tools.

Consider forces F acting on the beam, and their distances from the pivot..

upload_2019-3-10_16-9-26.png

assume all bellows have same area.
Equilibrium is when beam is balanced exactly horizontal, as shown
consider that a minute displacement from there, less than 0.001" changes nozzle pressure hence output pressure from minimum to maximum.
and for analysis imagine it takes zero movement from equilibrium to change output pressure over full range
so the nozzle is your "null" analogous to summing junction of an operational amplifier circuit.

In my opinion the spring on right end is mis-named it should be called Bias rather than Proportioning.

Since all bellows have same area, force exerted by any of them is proportional to pressure and we don't have to write area into the force balance equations.
Force up on left end of beam equals (Pmeasured - Pdesired),
and force up on right end of beam equals (Poutput - Fbias spring)

The beam is in equilibrium when sum of torques is zero
(Pmeasured - Pdesired) X D1 = (Poutput - Fbias spring) X D2
Solve for Poutput.
(You might want to set Fbias spring = 0 for starters.)

That should give you the idea what they're up to in the "How It Operates" chapter of that Bailey instruction leaflet.

It's the mechanical analogue to an operational amplifier circuit.
D1 and D2 are analogous to input and feedback resistors
and that 0.001" displacement i mentioned is analogous to open loop gain.
The AD relay has a pressure booster with gain around 20 placed between nozzle and output to increase its "open loop gain" .ie reducing the mechanical displacement necessary to achieve full output pressure swing..

Learn this stuff .
Maintaining a null has been the basis of automatic controls since well before computers.

old jm

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-10_16-9-26.png
    upload_2019-3-10_16-9-26.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 681
Answer to C is in that Bailey manual.

jim hardy said:
Answer to C is in that Bailey manual.

Hey Jim

Thanks for the info, someone at work is very good at PID controllers also. The above solutions are correct.

I will mark this as solved now.

Thanks again

Likes jim hardy

1. How does a pneumatic controller produce proportional action?

A pneumatic controller produces proportional action by using a pressure signal to control the output of a pneumatic actuator. This pressure signal is converted into a corresponding output pressure, which then adjusts the position of the actuator and allows for precise control of the system.

2. What components are involved in producing proportional action in a pneumatic controller?

The main components involved in producing proportional action in a pneumatic controller are a pressure sensor, a pneumatic actuator, and a control valve. The pressure sensor measures the input pressure and sends a signal to the control valve, which adjusts the output pressure to the actuator. The actuator then moves to the desired position, producing proportional action.

3. How does a pneumatic controller maintain proportional action over a range of input pressures?

A pneumatic controller maintains proportional action by using a feedback loop. The control valve continuously adjusts the output pressure based on the input pressure, ensuring that the actuator moves in proportion to the input signal. This allows for consistent and accurate control over a range of input pressures.

4. Can a pneumatic controller produce proportional action in both directions?

Yes, a pneumatic controller can produce proportional action in both directions. This is achieved by using a double-acting actuator, which can move in both directions and maintain proportional control over the output pressure regardless of the input signal.

5. How does the response time of a pneumatic controller affect its ability to produce proportional action?

The response time of a pneumatic controller can affect its ability to produce proportional action. A faster response time allows for more precise control, as the controller can quickly adjust the output pressure in response to changes in the input signal. However, a slower response time may result in less accurate control and potential overshoot or undershoot of the desired output pressure.