How should I calculate conductivity

In summary, you have data from impedance spectroscopy that includes frequency, magnitude, and phase information. You would like to know how to calculate the ionic conductivity. Phase may be important in determining which value to use to calculate the conductivity.
emma
Hello, I would like to ask if I have this data from impedance spectroscopy: frequency, Z(im), Z(Real), how should I calculate conductivity ? Should I use R(im) or R(re)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it is: $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{R_{Im}^2+R_{Re}^2}}$$

Likes emma and berkeman
emma said:
Hello, I would like to ask if I have this data from impedance spectroscopy: frequency, Z(im), Z(Real), how should I calculate conductivity ? Should I use R(im) or R(re)?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the context of your question? You may be able to calculate and use just the magnitude as @Replusz shows, but the phase information may also be important, depending on what exactly you are gathering this data for...

Likes emma
Thank you for your answers :) Well, I have r(im) and r(re) and frequency values and i need to calculate elements conductivity in particular temperature. Could you tell me more about how phase can be important?

Please tell us more about this experiment. What is the purpose? What is the material? What frequency range are you testing over? What do you plan to do with the results? The more you can tell us, the easier it is to help you. :smile:

Frequency is from 1MHz to 1 Hz, material is perovskite. Ionic conductivity has to be calculated from sigma=L/R*A(where L- distance between electrodes, A- cross section area, R- resistivity). :) Problem is that there is whole range of data of frequency and R'', R' values so i get a lot of conductivity data. And I just need one value in particular temperature. I suppose it is quite stupid (or not) to calculate average. So maybe phase can determine which value do i need?

emma said:
Frequency is from 1MHz to 1 Hz, material is perovskite. Ionic conductivity has to be calculated from sigma=L/R*A(where L- distance between electrodes, A- cross section area, R- resistivity). :) Problem is that there is whole range of data of frequency and R'', R' values so i get a lot of conductivity data. And I just need one value in particular temperature. I suppose it is quite stupid (or not) to calculate average. So maybe phase can determine which value do i need?
Why do you need the conductivity measured over that wide frequency range? What is the application? Why not just measure it at the single frequency of interest?

Related to How should I calculate conductivity

1. What is conductivity and why is it important to calculate?

Conductivity refers to the ability of a material to transmit electricity or heat. It is important to calculate because it can help determine the efficiency of a material in conducting electricity or heat, which is essential for many applications such as in electronics and energy production.

2. How is conductivity calculated?

Conductivity is typically calculated by dividing the current (in amperes) by the potential difference (in volts) across a material. This is known as Ohm's law: σ = I/V, where σ is conductivity, I is current, and V is potential difference.

3. What is the unit of measurement for conductivity?

Conductivity can be measured in different units depending on the context. For electrical conductivity, the unit is siemens per meter (S/m). For thermal conductivity, the unit is watts per meter-kelvin (W/m·K). In some cases, it may also be measured in terms of resistance, using the unit ohm-meter (Ω·m).

4. How does temperature affect conductivity?

Temperature can significantly impact conductivity. In general, the higher the temperature, the higher the conductivity for metals and semiconductors. However, for insulating materials, the opposite is true, with higher temperatures resulting in lower conductivity. This is due to the movement of electrons and atoms at different temperatures, which affects the material's ability to conduct electricity or heat.

5. What are some factors that can affect conductivity?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect conductivity include the type of material, its purity, and its structure. For example, impurities in a material can decrease its conductivity, while a more organized crystal structure can increase conductivity. The presence of defects or imperfections in the material can also impact conductivity.